Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new car come summer. I was planning on buying an 07 Mustang GT for quite some time, but I recently test drove an 06 GTI and really enjoyed it. I'm actually really considering the GTI now, and have a few questions. I would appreciate it if someone with REAL knowledge about the GTI MKV could email me or PM me to talk about this more in depth. I can read general specs on the internet, so I'd really like to talk to someone who really knows their stuff.

Here are my issues:
1) Obviously the Mustang is way faster. I haven't driven a new Mustang GT because I cant find any with a manual transmission, and they expect you to buy it. Ive only owned mustangs and have a pretty good idea of what they are like (I dont want to hear any slams about the Mustang). I was very impresed with how refined the GTI was when I drove it. It almost felt like a Porsche. I don't like that it has fairly low HP numbers, compared to the general "sport car" market, and its weight isn't that great either. It also doesn't feel much faster than my 93 SVO (turbo 4 cylinder, which probably puts 200+ RWHP down at full boost), which I wasn't too fond of because the point of me buying a new car is to get something REAL fast.

2) How much tuning potential is there in this car? If I do buy this car, I want to get at least 500 HP at the crank (I'm being realistic). Obviously this would require a much bigger turbo, injectors, porting and polishing everything, etc. Can the stock internals handle 500 HP? Can FWD handle 400HP at the wheels or will I get ridiculous torque steer? I want a car that is 0-60mph in around 4 sec.

3) How similar is the drivetrain on the GTI MKV to the 03/04 GTI R32? Would it be easy to swap suspension/awd parts?

4) This is what I would like to do. Buy a stripped down 07 GTI. No extra options, 6sp transmission. Work the engine - bigger turbo, heads, exhaust, chip/custom tune, porting and polishings everything, etc. To me it seems theres no way to link up 400-500 horses to the wheels. It would need to get converted to AWD. So either get the running gear off the last gen R32 (I don't want a new R32, I think they're too slow and expensive for the V6), or get some custom setup running, and convert it to AWD. If I could put down 350-370WHP, on AWD, I would be very happy. Would it be hard to get the driveshaft in there? (I saw the build on Street Tuner Challenge on Speedvision and it looks like theres a nice tunnel running down the car to run a driveshaft). Can I use the parts on an R32? How many suspension upgrades can you do to the car? Is there an "easy" way to get the weight in the 2000s?

5) Basically I want to build an all out track beast AWD GTI. I want the car to be able to spank a Z06. Obviously it wont be super cheap (considerably cheaper if I do it myself), or any easy bolt-on stuff, I realize it. But I want to know, can the car handle it? Can I do these things? Or is the car basically limited to 300 something HP at the engine with chips and turbos and restricted to FWD unless you get an R32?

Someone who knows their stuff please PM or email me so we can chat and I can learn.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just out of pure curiosity, instead of upgrading suspention and making a GTI all wheel drive. Just Buy an R32 and upgrade from there. You might also be able to graph the GTI body onto a different chassis for instance an Audi that already has AWD. The body of the GTI to the best of my knowledge does not care how many horses you have. The internals of the engine have no chance of handling that kind of HP. You will deffinetly need pistons and connecting rods, and I'm not even totally convinced that the engine block can take that kind of pressure. Not to mention that the transmission probably wouldn't handle it. We have deffinetly discussed that the FWD can't handle a track monster because the axles will snap.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd say if you're going to put that much work and money into the car, you might as well start from the R32. New head, pistons, etc, turbocharge the darn thing. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the "underpowered-R32-for-the-money", and you won't have to worry about shoving the AWD under a GTI chassis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had the luxury of buying the R32, I probably would. But I'm just barely going to have enough to buy the GTI in the first place, it'll be a do more work as I get more money thing. Plus I like the idea of buiding something crazy.

Dimension-wise though, would the gear off an MKV R32 fit on the GTI without modification? Are there any differences between the GTI and R32 chassis?

I know it would be a ton of work, but doesn't anyone think I could (with a lot of engineering) convert to AWD, push 500HP at the crank, and destroy a corvette z06 on the track (road course, not drag race)?

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to throw money at a car that will spank a Z06 I suggest you look for something used like a 300Z twin turbo, or a WRX Sti and start throwing.

This GTI is a driver's car. It's built for a guy (or gal) with a little change to spend who likes the whine of a turbo and the tight handling of a genuine european sports car--not to mention 30 mpg on the highway. It's Automobile's car of the year for a reason. It does everything well. It's a joy to drive to and from work and likes a little law-bending exercise. While this car gets up and goes, the straight acceleration is hardly its high point. Taking it through the twisties and practicing your heel-toe, and doing handbrake turns in the rain is where this thing is at. You can mess with the intake, exhaust and suspension to fit your taste. You can spend a few grand to make it really sing, but pushing past another 20 hp will torque steer you off the road and keep you buying tires every season.

In short, if you think you're going to buy a stock GTI and turn it into an AWD 500hp killer, you're fwording nuts. There is no Shelby model of the GTI. There are no racing stripes. This is car is built for the automotive enthusiast, not the HP-hungry nutjob. Five-hundred hp doesn't mean shit if you can't do anything with it. Why do you think people keep crashing their Ferraris?

That said, it's a cool car and if you like it the way it is, then jump on it. If not, you can always save your pennies for that kick-ass Shelby GT (I'd drive it).

Unless of course you know somebody who works for HPA:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0610_2008_hpa_volkswagen_r32

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.