Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the GTI this past saturday a friend that works with me has a 07 SI, he is always saying that his car very fast and all. So i decided to race him yesterday, I know the cars are about the same, ( well thats what i thought ).
So we raced like 6 times and all the six times i beat him bad, like more than 2 cars. My question is, is this normal? is he doing something wrong, I thought it was going to be a close race. I want to get input to see if maybe he is doing something wrong.

I do not know much about cars, but they are both stock. No upgrades, I also raced him with the S option.

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I want to get input to see if maybe he is doing something wrong.
He's driving a Honda, that's what he is doing wrong.:D

You'd have to spend some money to get the Honda to be an even match and even then it still won't have as much torque as the MkV.

You can say the cars are comparable in the hot hatch category, but go sit in his Si and tell me what car is put together better.;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah just had my buddy with a 07 Civic Si manual test out my 08 GTI 4-door DSG, just for poops and giggles. Before he took the wheel he had some things to say about automatics not being fun, 4-doors being heavy and not looking sporty, blah blah blah. As soon as he sat in the c0ckpit and held the steering wheel, he was in complete awe...fit and finish, quality of build, etc. Finally, he hit the freeway, and went clickity clack on the paddle shifters, shifting up and down with a look of shocking satisfaction. I let him test the launch control to finish off the test drive, and that pretty much iced it. He's still happy with his Civic Si (so he says) but he can no longer deny the sheer awesomeness of GTI mkV.

GTI envy...get used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Yeah just had my buddy with a 07 Civic Si manual test out my 08 GTI 4-door DSG, just for poops and giggles. Before he took the wheel he had some things to say about automatics not being fun, 4-doors being heavy and not looking sporty, blah blah blah. As soon as he sat in the c0ckpit and held the steering wheel, he was in complete awe...fit and finish, quality of build, etc. Finally, he hit the freeway, and went clickity clack on the paddle shifters, shifting up and down with a look of shocking satisfaction. I let him test the launch control to finish off the test drive, and that pretty much iced it. He's still happy with his Civic Si (so he says) but he can no longer deny the sheer awesomeness of GTI mkV.

GTI envy...get used to it.
I let a diehard Honda owner drive mine and had about the same experience!

[hail vw]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like this message board, I am usually browsing it all day at work. I do not know a lot about cars in general but would like to learn and get the most out of my GTI without breaking it :)

the Si guy is still very pissed and very shocked that i just beat him bad. So I get the office bragging rights until he starts to put stuff into his honda si.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
my brother is going to buy an Si, i've given my point of view, i've allowed him to drive my car, but alas he is still going w/ the Si. He says it feels better, shifts smoother...etc...

i cant wait till he gets it.... jus wanna rub it in, every time we go for a drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The weird thing about all this GTI thing is that I am not a Car guru, but ever since saturday when i got my gti I cant wait to get off work and go drive it, I cant stop driving it.

I just love it, !!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I owned a civic before I got the gti. Civic is a good reliable car but the gti is in a whole different galaxy in comparison. The gti is just an amazing machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you gotta take in driver skill to bro not just how fast a car is. my friend has a modded wrx, but sucks at shifting. he's been beatin by my MKIV. and with my friend james driving my car, he's destroyed a porsche on twisties. mind you i do have a Koni fully adjustable suspension set up to for twisties

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The weird thing about all this GTI thing is that I am not a Car guru, but ever since saturday when i got my gti I cant wait to get off work and go drive it, I cant stop driving it.

I just love it, !!
I wasn't a "car guy" either before I had my GTI... I was more of a bike guy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The GTI is easier to drive and has a huge jump on the civic off the line so beating them in a street race isn't difficult. Try taking them on a road course. That's when the weight of our cars comes into play. I have to say though the GTI is much more fun to drive and the torque just puts a smile on your face. I've had a couple of civics and they're just sheer crap compared to the GTI. I've driven in this car for over 9 hours straight and still wanted to drive some more. I just put 2800 miles on the car last weekend. But the coolest thing about the si is the ease with which it gets sideways. Its alot of fun on the track but on the street, it's not even close to the GTI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I thought you guys would enjoy what I have to say on the matter of an '06 Si
that I own. When I got it new I was unimpressed with its power. I noticed right away that a standard GTI would pull away initially almost 2 lengths from a roll. My '06 Si had those heavy 23 lb. HFP 18" wheels. Overall, the car lacked torque and throttle response. I could tell the standard GTI was faster, and expected worse with the DSG. When I would run a mix of Unocal racing gas, the GTI would initially pull 1 length from a roll, then it seemed to hold steady. Anyway, the GTI responds immediately and if I wasn't covering him at 6000 all the time, I could get pulled worse.

Anyway, I began working on the Si. I dropped over 220 lbs. on it, and also found out a lot of conventional mods. actually made it slower. The Skunk 70 mm catback clearly didn't work, either did the 3rd party cold air intake. Both killed throttle response. Anyway, I did light mods. but made sure all made a positive contribution.

- 16.5 lb. Mugen forged wheels versus 23 lb. stockers
- custom light underdrive pulleys (not crank though, custom idler pulley)
- cooling improvements to keep ignition advanced during commuting (diluted mixture, water wetter, disconnect intake hot water, throtte body spacer)

- aero. mods (flatten bottom, tuck up exhaust, fair rear wheels, no rear brake drag, zero toe in front, reduced internal drag through radiator, etc.)

- Honda Factory Performance suspension upgrade (higher spring rate and stiffer shocks, improves weight transfer and hookup in a drag race for FWD)

-retuned factory intake (complex and tedious task that netted 10 ft./lbs., amazing!)

- other stuff that involved detailed tuning

Anyway the result allows me to beat a DSG GTI in a drag to 60 by only about 1 - 1.5 lengths. I estimate very high 5s to 60 and about 14.5 in the quarter. I took a lot of time and labor and I am jealous of the GTIs with their turbo and the effectiveness of a simple chip mod. I was stronger than a MKIV APR stage 1 GTI from 70 to 130 by 6 lengths.

Anyway, I would be glad to answer questions. You guys have a great car.

- Randy

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most of whats been said i would agree with.

The GTI and Si are good competitors. In a straight line the GTI does have an advantage but on the track the Si is the winner.

However, since I am a firm believer that the GTI can only truly be appreciated on the track I was a little dissapointed that the Si was faster.

Therefore, one quick APR tune later.... The GTI is unquestionably faster in a straight line and on the track.

And unfortunately for the civic owner, it will take a lot of tuning and mods to get an Si up to 250hp and 300tq

Although I will give honda props for V-tech

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I just got the GTI this past saturday a friend that works with me has a 07 SI, he is always saying that his car very fast and all. So i decided to race him yesterday, I know the cars are about the same, ( well thats what i thought ).
So we raced like 6 times and all the six times i beat him bad, like more than 2 cars. My question is, is this normal? is he doing something wrong, I thought it was going to be a close race. I want to get input to see if maybe he is doing something wrong.

I do not know much about cars, but they are both stock. No upgrades, I also raced him with the S option.

Thanks for the input
Nah man. rape him, kill him and call it prison sex cuz vw is always greater than honda.... got sh!t to say now tealchief? or maybe your still at mommas house pretendin that accords are made to be fast f*ck you kid dumb ass...

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
oh my god hahaha...wtf!!!! hondas do suck balls..why is the guy on here? hahaha

1 - 20 of 56 Posts