My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a cursory search and found a couple of mentions of the Quaife LSD, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? I'm planning on buying a GTI, and I want to heavily modify it. Doesn't wheelspin become a problem with a jacked front driver? It seems that would be the case. Any input appreciated.

Best Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, it looks like there hasn't been a lot of experience with the Quaife LSD. Maybe I could prompt a reply to my other concerns; wheelspin and/or torque steer.

I had a Ford SHO several years ago. It was the second or third year they were available; it still only came with the 5 speed stick. Torque steer was BRUTAL on that car. Any launch from a standing start was sure to result in smoked tires and/or a struggle to maintain a straight line. Not conducive to hard cornering at lower speeds (less than 50 mph) either.

I'm going into the GTI with the intention of modifying it extensively. CAI, intercooer upgrade, chip and turbo back at the minimum. As I understand it, I should be getting 240-250 hp and torque numbers in the high 200's. Is wheelspin going to be a big problem? Is torque steer going to be a major issue? Seems like it will be, so I'm willing to throw money at the Quaife solution. I was hoping someone here would have some input as to whether or not I should be concerned.

Just to be clear, I'm getting the DSG. I understand launch control is included. Does that make my issue moot? I've read posts here that are real positive about LC, but it seems like a LSD would still be useful.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Best Regards

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Now, I'm not an expert on cars, but my main concern with modifying the GTI with a DSG transmission is the supposed limit to torque it can handle. I know there are a some people such as Dragon that have the DSG with up to Stg. 2 with Revo. I couldn't tell you anything else... I know SpeeDemon has a good amount of modifications done as well.

Hope that these guys respond to any questions you may have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kryptonkid07 said:
Now, I'm not an expert on cars, but my main concern with modifying the GTI with a DSG transmission is the supposed limit to torque it can handle. I know there are a some people such as Dragon that have the DSG with up to Stg. 2 with Revo. I couldn't tell you anything else... I know SpeeDemon has a good amount of modifications done as well.

Hope that these guys respond to any questions you may have.
My understanding is that the DSG is "rated" (more like limited to) at 350 nm (258 lbs ft) of torque, but is supposedly capable of handling much more. There are some program changes to the ECU and TCM that allow this?

It's mentioned on this link:

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1231268.phtml

I hear you on the DSG concerns but I just don't want to give up the paddleshifters and the better acceleration they bring. I think the DSG is probably good to over 300 lbs ft, so that's what I'll shoot for.

Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The Quaife LSD is new to the MkV platform. It was just released a month or two ago, and I don't wanna be the guinea pig. Also it's a pretty labor intensive install.

Quaife does have the reputation of having a solid product, lots of experience with other VWs and to my knowledge is the only LSD available for the GTI.

With stage 2 and dry pavement I can spin the wheels in 3rd, the LSD is on my list.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This reminds me, does that W12 GTI have a LSD, cause that thing must have CRAZY wheel spin. I know they limit the torque in the first 2 gears, but is that all they did?

Oh, and I need one of these too. They tell me the GTI's lack of one is what makes the Civic Si a hair better :mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
Oh, and I need one of these too. They tell me the GTI's lack of one is what makes the Civic Si a hair better :mad:
Agreed. I keep getting the feeling that between a good LSD and stiffer suspension that 200hp would go a lot further.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts