Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this post is in the wrong area, but I had a question about push starting my 5 speed gti. My battery has a draw currently and I'm in the process of having that fixed, so in the mean time I've been trying to push start my car to get it going. The problem is when I finally get the engine to turn none of my gauges engage, and when I press on the throttle the the engine doesn't rev up. The engine also idles very roughly and barely stays alive. I can put it into gear and slowly drive it around but the engine starts to die because I can't give it any gas. I'm aware that my car doesn't have a cable throttle and that the whole throttle system is all electronic, so my question is when my battery is completely dead does that mean the car simply won't run at all? Is the car just too new and requires a basic amount of battery to run the ECU and other things to make the car run properly? Right after I tried push starting my car today and had it run rough for a bit I turned off the engine and asked another motorist to give me a jump. After the jump the car started fine and everything worked normally. I've looked all over the internet about this but haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
+1 on alternator.

My MKV would not bump start at all, most of the time it would just lock up the front tire lol

But the answer to one of your questions is yes, your ecu requires a certain voltage to operate. below that threshold you will encounter problems. Remember the ECU controls everything in these cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.