Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper driving position in terms of leg extension and proximity of the steering wheel? There must be some 'rules of thumb' to get seated properly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I thought it said in the manual.

According to DIYNetwork:

Proper Driving Position

To properly set the position of the driver's seat:

# Sit in the seat and adjust the seating position so that your leg is fully stretched with all your weight on the brake pedal (figure C).

# If you have a clutch, set the parking brake and make sure you can push the clutch all the way to the floor.

# If your seat moves up and down, adjust it so that you can see all the gauges.

# When you are comfortable, position the backrest so that both shoulders stay in full contact with the backrest when your arms are fully stretched out holding the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
That sounds about right. The GTI is probably the only small car I can actually fully extend my leg. I had a Mitsubishi Lancer before and the steering wheel was basically in between my knees. I'm 6'3" and my legs make up most of my height. :(

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
That sounds about right. The GTI is probably the only small car I can actually fully extend my leg. I had a Mitsubishi Lancer before and the steering wheel was basically in between my knees. I'm 6'3" and my legs make up most of my height. :(
I am 6'-3", and have eliminated a lot of cars because I couldn't get into a seating position where I could read the gauges, the GTI actually left me with room to move the seat DOWN, which has never happened on any other car I have owned (including two other Golf's). What about the location of the steering wheel though?

·
Registered
749 Posts
6'2" here; my favorite driving position puts the steering wheel right where I can see the guages perfectly, and I have a little gap between the knees and wheel but that's just right for those times I feel like twiddling my thumbs or whatever and need to steer with my knees. I don't quite give myself a full stretch for the pedals, but it's a nice reach with a slight bend in my knees when the clutch or throttle is on the floor. Same with the recline, no straight arms to reach the steering wheel, just a little bend in the elbows.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlueFrogPosse said:
6'2" here; my favorite driving position puts the steering wheel right where I can see the guages perfectly, and I have a little gap between the knees and wheel but that's just right for those times I feel like twiddling my thumbs or whatever and need to steer with my knees. I don't quite give myself a full stretch for the pedals, but it's a nice reach with a slight bend in my knees when the clutch or throttle is on the floor. Same with the recline, no straight arms to reach the steering wheel, just a little bend in the elbows.
The fist time I test drove, my hand hit my leg when I turned so obviously I was too close. The next test drive (manual) the salesmen told me to pull the wheel out so that I could bend my hand down over the wheel with my arm outstretched. I think this gave me a slight bend in the arms like you describe. I posted this because I felt dumb that I didn't know how to seat myself properly - and I also didn't fully trust the guy. I must admit though, it felt pretty good. I have been sitting too close for years - I wonder if PMAZ has any tips and if they are different for track work. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

Seating position:

You want to be sitting in an upright position, and at full extension on ANY input, you want a slight bend in all limbs. Without that slight bend, you will fatigue very easily and quickly as well as NOT BE ABLE TO FEEL ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK FROM THE CAR! You are constantly "asking" the car to do things, and it will very nicely, or in some cases, not so nicely let you know how it liked it. Without that slight bend in your arms and legs you won't be able to feel it. You don't need to see over the hood (in front of the car) in your proper seating position. Everything that ends up in front of your car should have been seen and noted prior to arriving at that place. Vision should be elevated and maintained elevated.

Does that help a bit?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks PMAZ...................I have one more question, what did you heel & toe in your 1981 Dasher Diesel? What the hell is that? Got a pic?

·
Registered
300 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
I'm 6'4" and all legs too, and the only wish I had for the GTI is that the wheel extended out another couple inches. At the perfect leg distance, I have to lean forward to get to the wheel. When I'm racing, I pull forward to get the perfect arm distance, and deal with the extra bent legs.

That being said, it is by far the most comfortable sporty car I've ever driven. I once had a car that I had to move my left hand off the wheel to allow room for my knee when letting out the clutch...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Just to let you all know as well, I'm 6'8" tall. Kinda picked a stupid career, but I was a lot shorter and narrower at 12 when I started...

P.s. I still don't know how to post pictures on this thing! Google search VW Dasher Wagon and you'll see it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PMAZ said:
Just to let you all know as well, I'm 6'8" tall. Kinda picked a stupid career, but I was a lot shorter and narrower at 12 when I started...

P.s. I still don't know how to post pictures on this thing! Google search VW Dasher Wagon and you'll see it.
I guess you have to start somewhere.............

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
That's just a slightly older vintage, but yes... that was the road warrior that had to suffer massive abuse to make me the fearless driver I am today. That wagon (while being diesel) rarely saw straight, and my friends can attest to the fact that they've seen the underside of it at speed. I could have qualified that thing "mid-pack" in any WRC rally at the time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
im totally the same as you. I think that you shouldn't full extend you r legs and arms because they are not at full strength when say, your braking to avoid an accident. And it would also hurt to hyper extend one. Plus, you want your legs relaxed and not having them hover off the floorboard.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
...and I love the lumbar support in the GTI...I am European and love hard seats. The great thing about the lumbar support is that it moves up and down in the GTI - that helps to create the perfect driving position for me.

The GTI has probably the best seats I've ever had in any of my cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.