My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one had problems with their compass display. I know it seems like a stupid problem to complain about but when ever im going North and it shows South it just ticks my nerves.

When i 1st got my GTI the compass dissapeared completely. It was not in the system at all. After they reset my system it came back but it started freezing. I would turn East but it would still stay on North. Then eventually it would come back but now East became North so if i turn back North it shows West. After going for service 4 times they still havent fixed it because when they drive it the compass works fine, go figure. Next time i go there if they cant fix it im just gonna have them disable it completely because its useless.

Did anyone else have similar problems?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Check in the manual the part about configuring the compass. Make sure it's set on the right setting for your region. Apparently the compass reacts differently depending on what longitude you live at, sorta like time zones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried that already. With different zones too. The dealer also said it was set to wrong zone but then the problem came back. The fact that the compass completely dissapeared from my system when i 1st got it make me think there is something physically wrong with it.

Thank for the tip though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the car on accessory mode go into settings and do the compess set up. In a empty parking lot press set and it will say drive in a complete circle and then a couple other things. Take it for a drive and see what happens after that. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Wow... the car actually tells you to drive in circles? Kinda like calibrating a joystick, eh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm also having a problem with my compass I was hoping maybe some of you had some incite on.

It's bassackwards. It correctly shows North and South, but East and West are backwards. When I'm driving East it says I'm going West and vice-versa.

I have gone through the calibration process about 6-7 times driving around in circles in my culdisack making my neighbors think I'm crazy, and I've also set the magnetic variation to my zone. I don't have the DVD nav system either.

Just wondering if there was a quick fix I could do myself instead of making an appointment at the dealership. We've only had our "fast-sedan" for 3 days now and I really don't want to have to go back to my Civic while it's at the dealer. Even just grannying it around during the break in period is more enjoyable than driving that old Civic.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I'm also having a problem with my compass I was hoping maybe some of you had some incite on.

It's bassackwards. It correctly shows North and South, but East and West are backwards. When I'm driving East it says I'm going West and vice-versa.

I have gone through the calibration process about 6-7 times driving around in circles in my culdisack making my neighbors think I'm crazy, and I've also set the magnetic variation to my zone. I don't have the DVD nav system either.

Just wondering if there was a quick fix I could do myself instead of making an appointment at the dealership. We've only had our "fast-sedan" for 3 days now and I really don't want to have to go back to my Civic while it's at the dealer. Even just grannying it around during the break in period is more enjoyable than driving that old Civic.:mad:
Sounds like the sensor is screwed up. If the car is bone stock- have you considered reseting the ECU (by disconnecting the battery) then calibrating it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll try that tonight and see what happens, if that doesn't fix it I have an appointment on Thursday at the dealer to have it looked at.

I'll update this on the fix for it once it actually gets fixed, in case someone else happens to run across this problem.

Thanks Dragon. :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I'll try that tonight and see what happens, if that doesn't fix it I have an appointment on Thursday at the dealer to have it looked at.

I'll update this on the fix for it once it actually gets fixed, in case someone else happens to run across this problem.

Thanks Dragon. :)
It's a computer, when in doubt, reboot.:D

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
lmao....fidel castro plotting against us..bahahahaha. sorry, can't help on the compass issue but that toilet flushing backwards is definitely true fact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont know if you are near any high power transmission lines when it happens but... I work at a power plant, and when i got to work today I noticed the compass indicated south when I was in fact facing north east. All other times, it is correct. I attributed the error to the electric field coming off our switch yard. So if you are driving under 10k volt lines, it might cause your misreading.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's a computer, when in doubt, reboot.:D
aint that the truth...
I dont know if you are near any high power transmission lines when it happens but... I work at a power plant, and when i got to work today I noticed the compass indicated south when I was in fact facing north east. All other times, it is correct. I attributed the error to the electric field coming off our switch yard. So if you are driving under 10k volt lines, it might cause your misreading.
i've heard of this happening and its funny cause last week i drove by a huuuuuge transformer station along side of it and i was going in the same direction and my compass started out saying S then it went E, NW, W, E, EW, NW, N, NE and then back to S when i finished passing it....... i was like **** that was the twilight zone

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.