Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the site and was looking for some advice. I'm trying to put a new pioneer head unit into my 04 GTI I just got and am having difficulty removing the stock unit. I have the stereo removal keys/tools but they don't catch. Even had the stereo installation guy at a local bestbuy look at it and he can't get them to catch either. I'm thinking a previous owner (i got it from a used car dealer so i don't know who the previous owner is) messed up the clips holding the stereo in. Any way for me to get it out now? Could a VW dealership do it? Thanks for the help.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
if the clips are broken in side

the only way to remove the radio is to disassemble the dash to get to the radio cage

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had this same trouble just a few weeks ago. The PO had reinstalled the stock Dual Din head unit, and somewhere in the process, really screwed things up. He even left, screwdriver pry marks on the area surrounding the unit. Kind of a bummer.

It was a real job to remove the deck... and took me close to an hour of close careful work to take care of something that should have taken 15 seconds.

The clips and the cage were so bent and warped that I actually had to use a hack saw blade to saw through the thing to get the unit out.

I'm not sure what advice I can give.... you can just work it slowly and bend or cut as needed like I did, or you can begin to disassemble the dash.

The things that helped me, were a nice bright light, and a couple of good prying tools, and one brand new hack saw blade.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used some small computer/electronics flat heads and then once they were in switched to butterknifes to pry with, mine popped out but then again only 1 of my clips was broken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts