My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I tried looking but I didn't seem to find any threads about this. Maybe it's here and I didn't look hard enough(in my defense, my browser isn't behaving well with this site).

My question is which brand of premium gas do you guys recommend for my new GTI that I will picking up this Friday July 20. I'm here in Canada so my choices are Esso(Exxon in the US), Shell, Petro Canada, Pioneer and Sunoco. Well, what are you experiences/preferences regarding best performance/fuel economy. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
moniz said:
Hey! I tried looking but I didn't seem to find any threads about this. Maybe it's here and I didn't look hard enough(in my defense, my browser isn't behaving well with this site).

My question is which brand of premium gas do you guys recommend for my new GTI that I will picking up this Friday July 20. I'm here in Canada so my choices are Esso(Exxon in the US), Shell, Petro Canada, Pioneer and Sunoco. Well, what are you experiences/preferences regarding best performance/fuel economy. Thanks.
Most gas is so similar here in the US that I have not really noticed a difference between Shell/Arco(BP) and Chevron.

·
Registered
103 Posts
... i live in canada as well
and i had my GTI since november 18th 06 ... and i love the car

i personally only use Shell V-Power Premium Gas ... here in London, ON it has been around $1.16 Canadian a liter ($4.39 a gallon) so it is not 2 bad

you want to put the good stuff in ur car since i would only hope u gonna love ur car :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I normally use BP or Shell. I kind of feel obligated to use shell, as I was an enginer for the company that makes the additives in Shell Gasoline. But now that everyone in the US is diluting their gas with ethonol, i rellay dont think it matters very much. Just stay away from the non branded gas. working for a petrolium aditives company testing the fuels, ive seen some nasty stuff come out of the testing bays using second rate unbranded gas. I have no idea what they put in that stuf, but it honestly does turn the fuel system into black sludge after a while.

so stay away from quik-e-mart gas stations, and use the good stuf. there's a reason the cheap stuff is cheap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i only use shell V-power or Sunoco or Chevron. I seem to get the best gas milage out of those gases. I do only have 91 octane here though. Chevron left a few years back and Sunoco we have never had, but I love using the Super94 and 93 on trips! We mainly have Conocos, Diamond Shamrocks, Texaco's, Phillips 66's, Bradley Sinclair's and 3 Shell stations. So basically all Conoco............but i have noticed in my carburater vehicle that i get about ).5-2.0mpg more out of shell V-power then i do Conoco.(Both 91 oct.) On average about 1.2 to be exact! I would definately use shell, they got something with the cleaner burning engines and cleaner valves. Why hurt your engine, quality gas normally only costs about $0.10 more per gallon.Let's see...........in 100,000miles at 25mpg, thats only $400 more overall. Verses..........in 100,000 miles at 25mpg, saving $400, and having to spend $1500-2000 on head work if you pay to do it. Otherwise maybe $800-$1000 to do it your self. I think the short time expense will save you in the long run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here in Aus we have the choice now of normal, (95RON), premium, (98RON) or the Shell V-Power Racing,(100RON) of which the latter is 5% Ethanol, I mostlly use the 100% in my and find the mileage, performance and driving feel are all increased. It costs a lot more but is a better product i think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep I'm in Scotland and use shell V power 100 ron, that's all i've ever used, I just get a nice feeling putting in the best petrol available into my GTI O0

CT

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
its worth puttin in the best, considering it only usually costs bout an extra 3bucks compared to a crappy brand

·
Registered
749 Posts
RON stands for Research Octane Number. I assume by 'octane' you mean the (R+M)/2 method used here in the States. The 'R' is short for RON, whereas the 'M' stands for MON, or Motor Octane Number. Basically RON is measured using certain controlled conditions representing average use of an engine. MON is measured using pre-heated test fuel, which results in a much lower octane rating. For example, a fuel which measures 95 RON will likely be around 87 MON. The US octane rating (R+M)/2 gives the averages of RON and MON so the pumps here would have this fuel listed as 91 octane. Generally, the (R+M)/2 method will measure about 4 or 5 points lower than RON.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.