Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been strongly considering buying a GTI MkV. I had some questions regarding price/benefit and about the car in general. I would definitely be getting leather seats and the sun roof (and whatever extras are required for these). I had some questions about the other options.

Does anyone have comparison shots of the GTI with and without the OEM body kit? As far as I can tell it's pratically nothing. From what I've read, however, it looks nice and can be considerably cheaper and less of a hassle than getting an aftermarket (Since it's prepainted).

Can you get the in-dash navigation and still have the six disc CD changer? Does it not play mp3-cds? What about mp3-dvds? I really want the navigation, but if I get an inferior sound system I may reconsider.

I'm pretty much sold on the DSG being the superior shifting option. I have heard that it can give some problems when modding (e.g. chips can cause it to stick in first and over-rev). Is there any weight to that?

Considering the options I want would it be in my better interest to go for the Fahrenheit version? I know of at least one dealer with this car available. It should hold its resale value a little better.

Given the options I want (leather, nav, sunroof) what would be a fair price to negotiate at? Keep in mind that I would potentially be putting 15k-20k down in cash. Edmunds isn't really giving me a decent base to go off (It's invoice is actually higher than the MSRP from VW.com!). Is there another site I could get the same info?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the Edmunds invoice is less than vw.com msrp you must not be comparing apples to apples. Make sure the destination charge is showing up on the vw.com pricing. As for other sites, try Kelly Blue Book, kbb.com. But I think you will find it prices out exactly the same as Edmunds.

You will find lots of information and opinions for your other questions. You might be better off to "search" each one separately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You misread. Edmunds invoice is actually higher than the VW.com MSRP. The only thing I can think of is the packages don't translate over exactly. Most of my questions are non-opinionated with the only two being the Fahrenheit and fair price.

Edit:
Even at a base quote Edmunds gives a 22,279 invoice where VW.com gives a 22,220 MSRP. That's without any options selected. It just doesn't seem right to me. When I start adding options the price continues to skew until it reaches a few grand higher than MSRP.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Answers in red:

I've been strongly considering buying a GTI MkV. I had some questions regarding price/benefit and about the car in general. I would definitely be getting leather seats and the sun roof (and whatever extras are required for these). I had some questions about the other options.

My brother has the cloth, and when he sat in my car- he wishes he got the leather because the seats feel better.

Does anyone have comparison shots of the GTI with and without the OEM body kit? As far as I can tell it's pratically nothing. From what I've read, however, it looks nice and can be considerably cheaper and less of a hassle than getting an aftermarket (Since it's prepainted).

I don't have any pics off hand, but you are on the money. If you want the ground effects- get them at the time of purchase and save yourself some dough.

Can you get the in-dash navigation and still have the six disc CD changer? Does it not play mp3-cds? What about mp3-dvds? I really want the navigation, but if I get an inferior sound system I may reconsider.

The DVD NAV system eliminates the 6disc MP3 compatabile head unit. The nav system has not got good reviews and will eliminate MP3 compatability. I chose not to get the iPod kit for the matter of I just burned 6 MP3 CDs and I don't have to worry about my iPod getting jacked.

I'm pretty much sold on the DSG being the superior shifting option. I have heard that it can give some problems when modding (e.g. chips can cause it to stick in first and over-rev). Is there any weight to that?

It depends on your long term goals. If you want a 400hp stage III GTI- go with a stick. If it's going to be a daily driver but you still wanna have fun- get the DSG. The "unofficial word" is that the DSG is software controlled at 300ft/lbs of torque. There are rumors of a software hack that can change that (but at this point- it's just a rumor).

Considering the options I want would it be in my better interest to go for the Fahrenheit version? I know of at least one dealer with this car available. It should hold its resale value a little better.

If you can rock the orange- go for it. O0

Given the options I want (leather, nav, sunroof) what would be a fair price to negotiate at? Keep in mind that I would potentially be putting 15k-20k down in cash. Edmunds isn't really giving me a decent base to go off (It's invoice is actually higher than the MSRP from VW.com!). Is there another site I could get the same info?

Try search- there are a few recent threads on prices- there are also a few FH owners you could PM and ask what they paid.

It's a fun car and the best bang for the buck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.