Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i'm french and I just got my new GTI a month ago. Xenon lights, GPS, 18" wheells, black magic, radar-beep for parking, side mirrors that folds electrically... well lets say everything exept leather !! Its a manual transmission, cauz wanted to keep the driving pleasure :)

Anyways, sorry for my bad english, and I don't know the specific words to use in the car industry in english... but I would like to know if you know the tuning "additional box" called Power System, a french-made tuning kit. It differs from the chip, because it doesnt change the data of the car, but you just plug the little "box" to the engine, with easy connectors, and it gains 27 horsepower, and, with an additionnal SFI ( System Fuel Induction, u can add another 11 HP to the car... so for 1000 euros, you basically raise the power of the GTI of 38 HP, adding lots of power, and reduce fuel consumption...)

Anyways, the things i'm talking about is :
System Fuel Induction :http://www.powersystem.fr/FR/fiche_produit_sfi.php
and for the additionnal box is: http://www.powersystem.fr/FR/fiche_produit.php?id_produit=1623&marque=41&modele=472&type=Essence

Ok, so here's the deal...
The SFI isn't a problem... doesnt change the warantee of the car, authorised by the insurance companies... even in case of a wreck... but my biggest problem is for the additionnal box.
It is said that it is NOT accepted (remember i'm in France... not the "pimp your ride country called america, where everything is tolerated, possible, and authorized)... in Europe , and especially France, it's not really aloud to tune a car... so my question is...
Does anyone of you live in europe, and have heard about those kinds of additionnal boxes ? It is said that the garantee of the box itself is 5 years... but once you put it on the car... and imagine you have a wreck... your in trouble if you didn't have time to take it off...

Also another question about the lifetime of my GTI: if i put this on the engine..; on the french website they say that this box only "optimizes the fuel injection, and respects the limits of VW for the engine, and therefore it will not do any harm to the engine, and the engine will last as long as if you hadn't put any additionnal box on the car..."
My question is so... do you agree on that ? Is it true that those "boxes" don't kill your car... i mean... i just bought it, i don't want the engine to be destroyed because of this thing in one or two years... i want it to last... like 100 000 miles minimum...

Well, sorry again for the bad english... did what I could to make myself clear... I hope you guys understand my problem.... which basically can be resumed as: How to power-up my GTI, but to keep that officialized by the french law... without taking of the car garantee... ? :)

I'm looking foward to hear from you. Please, I know it's in french, but try to go to the website, at least to see the pictures of what i'm talking about, to make an idea on what it is .

Thanks in advance to the one that will take time to answer my newbishness about the tunning world :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Vect0r said:
(remember i'm in France... not the "pimp your ride country called america, where everything is tolerated, possible, and authorized)... in Europe , and especially France, it's not really aloud to tune a car... so my question is...
Does anyone of you live in europe, and have heard about those kinds of additionnal boxes ? It is said that the garantee of the box itself is 5 years... but once you put it on the car... and imagine you have a wreck... your in trouble if you didn't have time to take it off...
"pimp your ride country called america" ::)

I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, and the emission standards (CARB) here are probably just as strict (as the Euro emmisions standards)... and NO- not everything is tolerated. If you are in California and have a pimped out ricer (with a big wing and a big tail pipe), be prepared for an in-field under the hood inspection by the Highway Patrol.

My GTI is un-pimped ;D

If the box is hidden, why would you worry if you were in accident? I don't know anything about the traffic laws in France, but I can't see the police stripping your vehicle for parts that may not be OEM (unless it was a serious fatality)... It would hard to say that would be a contributing factor towards a collision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I guess ure right in the case of a normal little accident, when there isn't any problems more than repairing what has been damaged... but like you said in case of accident when people are harmed, then u won't get in trouble because of the system, no, but the garantee of the car won't work... that's the thing :(

Anyway, that settles one question, but the other, about the fact that it uses the engine abnormally, what do you think about it ?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Vect0r said:
... but like you said in case of accident when people are harmed, then u won't get in trouble because of the system, no, but the garantee of the car won't work... that's the thing :(
I can only speak for what happens in the US... not in France;

We have some protection under law when adding after market parts. As far as the gaurantee/ warranty: There is a good chance the dealership will argue that your after market modification is what "caused the problem". :(

I'm fairly sure you would run into a smilar situation in France, check with some local VW drivers ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plz answer about the fact that it would potentially use abnormally the engine... Do you agree ? Or i can just go and buy it, it won't kill the engine ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Abnormally" is a pretty vague term here. Will it run different than VW had intended? Yes, and this will most likely lead to some headaches at the local dealership. But will it push it beyond its engineered limits, causing premature failure? I doubt it but...je ne parler pas Francais...or something along those lines, so I couldn't tell you. We've had a big discussion about this in the Mods-->Powertrain-->Chipping/ Software Discussion section. You might want to check that out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts