Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a road trip up to Gatlinurg TN this weekend and ehen I started the car the next morning the "ESP OFF" and the "Yellow Power steering" warning light flashed and stayed on the dash. Both lights stayed on until the car warmed up then they both went off? This happened 3 days in a row when starting the car in the morning. (temp about 50 degrees). After driving about 5 miles they cut off, but while driving when the temp dropped to about 25 degrees both lights came on again, I was unable at any time to turn the ESP back on while either staring the car or driving once both lights came on. It has been doing this off and on for the past couple of days. Has anyone else experienced any of these issues?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
how many miles are on the car?? the power steering fluid might have gone bad or something. if i were you i would definitly take it to the dealership. this does seem to be a pretty important problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only 2300 miles, and according to the dealership..the car doesnt have power steering fluid! (funny). But the service tech was adamant that I should make sure that the tire pressure in all of my tires reads what is on the door panel. He stated that if it didn't and the ESP "notices" that it hasn't been driving level then it would throw up those two lights. The service tech said that I should set the tires and drive 10 miles and it should fix itself. Ill give it a try tonight and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well the service tech would be right about it not having power steering fluid its because the GTI has Electric power assist steering if i am not mistaken.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Were you actually at the dealership when the service tech told you this? If so, he should have gone over to your car and checked your tire pressure himself. Instead, it sounds like he told you to go diagnose your own problem. Hmmmmm...... ::)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Most electric steering gears have an electric motor that turns a pump to create hydraulic pressure. Some (far less) are direct electric steer by either a belt or shaft. I havn't looked to see what is on the GTI. ???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No It was over the phone...anyway I drove it 15 miles...still no change..Ill be taking it in today and inform you all with the results!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gunny said:
Most electric steering gears have an electric motor that turns a pump to create hydraulic pressure. Some (far less) are direct electric steer by either a belt or shaft. I havn't looked to see what is on the GTI. ???
A pump? To pump what; hydraulic fluid? The GTI has no hydraulic (power steering) fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the car back today! Problem was a "wheel track sensor"... It tells the computer that the vehicle isn't riding level or if the tires are slipping...part will be in Friday..yay!

·
Registered
573 Posts
jgo said:
Gunny said:
A pump? To pump what; hydraulic fluid? The GTI has no hydraulic (power steering) fluid.
What part of i did n't look to see what sort of electric steer the GTI had did'nt you understand? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gunny said:
jgo said:
Gunny said:
What part of i did n't look to see what sort of electric steer the GTI had did'nt you understand? ??? ??? ???
Most electric steering gears have an electric motor that turns a pump to create hydraulic pressure. That part. Since it has already been established that the GTI does not use a fluid, why would you have to look to see if there was a pump?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only thing that was established was that it had an electric steering gear. Many, in fact most electric steering gears still use hydraulic fluid. I stated I had not looked to see which type of electric steer the GTI had. Don't argue about something you have no fwording idea about. This should be you >>>> :-X

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually, Gunny, I know exactly what I am talking about.  It was established early in the thread that the GTI does not use power steering fluid and it should be obvious to anyone who has ever opened the hood.  I assume that you are intellectual enough to hold your own in a discussion without cussing and that your use of simulated vulgarity is just used to emphasize your anger.  Take a chill pill.  Can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy Holidays....I still have those lights on the dash......they replaced the wheel angle sensor or clock sensor, and the lighs still won't reset. The dealership said they had to get some information from a technician at VW on what the cause of the problem is. So I am execting a call back next week to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran a scan with the VAG-COM, and it was the steering angle sensor that went bad, replaced it and now..no more lights ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.