Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote on powdercoating my rims at 40 dollars a rim.
Before I go ahead and do this. I would like to know the Pros and Cons of it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
40 bucks aint that bad... Some one on here did that. they just being lazy and not getting on.... either way id like to see the pros and cons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
want to thank the OP for this idea...my 08 (bought about a month ago) came with denvers which I figured I'd keep as my winter wheels but I just don't think they look as sharp as the hufs (which I'm planning on getting for summer). along comes this post & it got me thinking...what if I got the denvers painted? jump on the google machine & found this pic...think it looks pretty sweet & I won't die a little death each year when I have to put on my winters! thx man!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
want to thank the OP for this idea...my 08 (bought about a month ago) came with denvers which I figured I'd keep as my winter wheels but I just don't think they look as sharp as the hufs (which I'm planning on getting for summer). along comes this post & it got me thinking...what if I got the denvers painted? jump on the google machine & found this pic...think it looks pretty sweet & I won't die a little death each year when I have to put on my winters! thx man!

View attachment 3504
Sic looking Denvers. Would've been hotter if they would've kept the silver lip on the arms, or even made it red like the speed ring. Powdercoating is pretty awesome and is up on my priotities.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
This is a dumb question, but once you powder coat can you remove it in the future or is it permanent?

Thanks

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
think sandblasting qualifies as "crazy amount of sanding" eh? :p
The quickest and most efficient kind of "crazy amount of sanding". Try sticking your hand in front of a sand blaster. See how crazy it can get.

·
Registered
228 Posts
plastidip if theyre just winter rims... ive got 2 years on mine and no problems. It just peels off and your rims look like new.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
is $325.00 to much to spend on someone powder coating my denvers black with a red lip? 90% gloss and 10% matte?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
is $325.00 to much to spend on someone powder coating my denvers black with a red lip? 90% gloss and 10% matte?
I was quoted $75 per rim for custom powder coating up to 3 colors on 18" BBS RC's so I guess 325 for a set of 4 isn't too bad. I live in a local business area so most shops compete pretty nicely for lowest price.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i would just paint them myselfs.. cus there only denvers not huffs
I wouldnt lol if you **** up then you have to pay to have someone correct your mistake, and 80 bucks per rim is a little high but since you are doing a red lip and all that it may be a decent price im not sure. If one color runs about 50 bucks a wheel (avg) i couldnt imagine a red lip would be an extra 30 but idk, call around and get prices.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I wouldnt lol if you **** up then you have to pay to have someone correct your mistake, and 80 bucks per rim is a little high but since you are doing a red lip and all that it may be a decent price im not sure. If one color runs about 50 bucks a wheel (avg) i couldnt imagine a red lip would be an extra 30 but idk, call around and get prices.
if you mess up sand blasting cost about 15-30 bucks....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
And Sand blasting is really nice for getting a raw finish on the wheels. You can always just clearcoat over the top of the raw finish to have a stock look with some shine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts