Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the warranty stuff that gets beat to death and I didn't want to start another thread about it, but I didn't see any mention of this. Other than cost is there any reason why people aren't unplugging their factory ecu boxing it up for safe keeping and getting a second ecu flashed? It seems logical to me that if you do this and something goes wrong you just take the hour or so to swap the ecu out to the original and bring the car in for warranty work then there are no logs showing that there was "abnormal" behavior, however the lack of recent logs all together may be a red flag. Not sure if there are date/time stamps in the logs...

Anyway if anyone has any insight to share on the use of a second ecu for mods that would be great!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Re: Potentially unanswered ECU flash question? (searched and read every thread I foun

alot of the newer ecus are tied to the vin of the car and you can not simply just swap them in an out. it is doable if you flash both ecus but its costly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Potentially unanswered ECU flash question? (searched and read every thread I foun

I think that's a valid point! I'm not concerned with warranty enough to stop me from modding, but I've ran across so many threads discussing it while reading about the different mods I was curious why no one does this.

If the end result is you have to flash both ecus then I agree its a waste of time and money...

Thanks for the replys!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts

There's also security screws holding it in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts