Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just fitted some raceland ultimos and the entire install went smoothly despite the fact that i did the entire thing through the night alone in my driveway.. i re-used the stock strut mounts and had to re-use the axle bolts bc they appearently got mixed up in the mail.. also while doing the install i learned that BOTH of my CV boots were torn, i duct taped the **** out of them for the time being. now since the install ive had a number of issues that i dont know what to address first. when accellerating the car pulls left on decel. it pulls right, also the driverside front corner had a knocking/clunking sound that is more like a very hard click. kinda sounds like alluminum clunking together or something, i think it could be the strut bearings bc when i look at the strut tower from above and push down on the car i can see the top of the strut move up and down ever so slightly but it doesnt do the noise. also the entire suspension creeks when up driveways or weird angles. another thing is that when i have the windows down and im crusing slow when i get off the gas i feel like i can hear the axles or something clack together once or twice along with feeling a slight tap each time. i love my fast but its winter so that means its gunna fall apart on me. please help guys. my car NEVER goes in a shop and i dont have a lot of time to start breaking things down. thanks everybody!!

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
A) you need an alignment first before going crazy with troubleshooting.
B) new suspension makes noises. When I put spring on they made a racket for 2 months when turning at slow speeds, after they wear ever so slightly, the noise went away.
C) Strut bearing would have been making noises before the install if it was done.

I agree with Coltello, install error, misalignment, or height issues

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clunking noise didn't start till a few weeks after the install. I had no issues directly after except for the springs popping but I fixed that by lubing the tops and bottoms of the springs. The clunking noise started one day by my thinking I was hearing a noise and by the next day it was very appearent that there was noise. If it was the strut bearings why would they be bad before hand? After being dumped for a couple weeks a lot more stress is put on suspension components so its completely likely that the bearings went because of the Coilovers. Definatly think I'm going to replace both axles, re-adjust my height, get an alignment and then worry about the noise or take care of the noise before the alignment. If I get aligned and my strut bearings are shot then I'm just gunna need another alignment after I replace the bearings right? I have a good amount of experience with cars, suspension mainly I just have several issues and I'm looking for advise on the best way to go about fixing. I didn't make any install mistakes except possibly for the fact that when I removed the axles from the hub I didn't mark them or anything just tapped them out and gently put them back in where they felt like they went. Not sure if that's a big deal or not but other then that everything should be 100% after having done dozens and dozens of suspension installs on various cars. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
198 Posts
When going up driveways or over speed bumps. That creek is probably your strut mount. Mine did that. Apparently the rubber and metal on them come apart and make weird noises when rubbing against each other. Solo werks make a mount that doesn't do that. I bought them and it's working so far

1 - 5 of 5 Posts