Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was looking into rims to get for my GTI for Christmas. I stumbled across some 911 997 reps for an awesome price. Here are the stats; 18x8.5 +57 front and 18x9.5+46 rear. I have done some searching around and I know there was a guy who ran these on his GTI, but what exactly would I need to make these work on my car? Spacers, adapters? I'm totally new to buying a new set of rims..

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
You will need adapters that go from 5x112 to 5x130. The exact size is beyond me as well as the tire sizes you can use.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I run porsche twists on my gti. im guessing you have an MKV or MKVI mattpaul19?

I run 18x8's all the way around with 15mm adapters in front and 20mm in the rear. My final offsets are 35/30 accordingly. You're going to need a decent amount of camber in the rear if you want to fit the 18x9.5 because the smallest adapter is 15mm, making your final offset 31. 18x9.5 et 31 will have about 3/4" more poke than mine:

-FF

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Also, to add...you're going to have to worry about tire size too. Nothing larger than a 225/40 on the rear, which will be some decent stretch. Here I was at Oktoberfest with et35 all around, on 215/35/18 tires. The PERFECT fitment.

-FF

·
Banned
49 Posts
So, if you don't do any spacers you don't need to worry about a alignment afterwards? I'm new to the vdub scene so I'm just wondering. I will run 17" snows and then 18 or 19's in the spring. I don't want to deal with changing the camber each time I change rims. With that being said what is the widest tire I could go with on an 18" without messing anything up and keeping my speedometer accurate?
sorry to be asking but, I have no tuner shops for 2 hours from wher I live. And I have always had GM cars and the shops around here know them.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
So, if you don't do any spacers you don't need to worry about a alignment afterwards? I'm new to the vdub scene so I'm just wondering. I will run 17" snows and then 18 or 19's in the spring. I don't want to deal with changing the camber each time I change rims. With that being said what is the widest tire I could go with on an 18" without messing anything up and keeping my speedometer accurate?
sorry to be asking but, I have no tuner shops for 2 hours from wher I live. And I have always had GM cars and the shops around here know them.
you could run a 10 inch wheel with the correct size tire if your offsets are right....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Never go more than 9.5" wide in a wheel if you're not ready to camber them. Many of these factors depend on how low you are, and more importantly, offsets. With max stock camber in the rear, i can fit 18x10 et 42, but nothing wider or lower of an offset without serious fender issues. Even then, its with 225/40 tires. I've never tried a 245/40 tire, but i dont think it'd work.

Here's how close the 18x10 et42 is cutting it:

You do not need an alignment if you arent altering your suspension at all (i.e. cambering or lowering/raising coilovers).

-FF

·
Registered
48 Posts
The max size you can go on an 18 inch rim is 235/40/18. Even that size has minor rub when the suspension is fully compressed. And in order to put any type of Porsche wheel on your gti, you are going to need adapters/spacers. The factory offset for our cars is et 42. You are going to want to stay as close to that as possible. I personally do not recommend the use of spacers or adapters for safety purposes, but to each their own.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The max size you can go on an 18 inch rim is 235/40/18. Even that size has minor rub when the suspension is fully compressed. And in order to put any type of Porsche wheel on your gti, you are going to need adapters/spacers. The factory offset for our cars is et 42. You are going to want to stay as close to that as possible. I personally do not recommend the use of spacers or adapters for safety purposes, but to each their own.
you dont need to stay close to factory offset.. my oem ofset is 38... im sitting at 19 right now... and adapters / spacers are fine.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You're completely wrong.

Factory offsets vary depending on wheel, obviously...classix, huffs, charlestons all have different offsets. You do not have to stay close to your factory wheel's offset. Granted, you dont want to run a +18 on an 18x10, but a +30 on a 18x8 fits just fine, and its over an inch difference.

How are adapters and spacers unsafe for daily driving? I've been rolling on adapters now for over 50,000 miles with no problems...so fill me in.

-FF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.