Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Relevant info: MKV gti - FSI engine, APR stage 2, downpipe, Forge Wastegate actuator (green spring), Eurojet CAI, Eurojet DV relocation, BSH throttle body pipe, BSH catch can, "D"-revision piston diverter valve.

I will list the events in chronological order:

1. Since the summer i have been getting the same P0234 code under WOT, followed by a CEL. No limp mode, but reduced peak and plateau PSI, as per installed boost gauge.

2. Two weeks ago it dropped to -30F and upon start up the car was vibrating violently, misfiring, couldnt build vacuum and gave me a whole bunch of codes. Ever since the car would randomly drop into limp mode. Cleared all of them to see what comes back. These did:

So because i have a "D"-revision diverter valve, i ruled that out instantly. Went ahead and replaced the N75 valve with the updated part at the end of last week.
I dont know if the misfires are at all related to the P0234 and P2261.
The car drove just fine after the replacement.

3. The next morning the exact same codes come back, and the car went straight to limp mode.

Now i know that the aluminium throttle body pipe is rubbing on the fan. I checked it today and there is definitely a boost leak there now. Plastic fan found its way through the aluminium pipe. Will fix that in the upcoming days.

The problem that i have is the fact that i dont see how a boost leak can cause the rest of the problems. Please, someone, enlighten me. I am sort of at a loss here.

As soon as i can i will drive over to my friends place - he has VAG-COM. What should i log?

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
I had overboost and limp mode when I had a massive boost leak due to a missing gasket on the turbo outlet. I also had injectors failing at the same time. But, yeah, the codes were the same.

I'm looking at getting that bsh throttle body pipe in the spring, should I avoid it? it'll hit the fan? Is that why the oem pipe is a squished 'pancake' style.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You, sir, provide relevant information. I don't think the injectors are to blame, but i do have a large boost leak that comes from the aluminium BSH throttle body pipe. I bought it in 2011, so they might have an upgraded version out by now. Basically, the right edge of the left fan rubs on a section of the throttle body pipe about 1.5 inches in length. The fan did not come in contact with the TBP upon installation. All was installed as per manufacturer's specifications. After having the part installed for just over a year, there is a very visible grove in the throttle body pipe, with oil and carbon residue around it that forms very distinct outward patterns. Will obtain pictures when repairing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've become rather convinced that the problems are being caused by the boost leak in the TBP. The DV codes make sense if you consider the fact that the leak is RIGHT next to the DV, which has been relocated from its original position on the K03 turbo to the TBP.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i learned some TIG welding and did up the throttle body pipe. Reset the computer with some VAG-COM action as well. Used a two-ton press to make a shaped indent in the aluminium pipe right where the fan cut through with some extra room to spare. The indent is just enough to clear the fan and does not protrude into the inner circumference of the TBP too much. At least nothing compared to how effed up the air path is in the stock TBP. Drove fine for 5 minutes, threw a CEL, went into limp mode. I promptly pulled over, exited the vehicle and let the world know exactly what it is that i feel for this particular mechanical malfunction.
Apparently a boost leak seeking path through a cut 1 inch in length in a TBP does not qualify as a big enough issue to trigger such events because as soon as i replaced the "D"-revision diverter valve, thats right, the "D"-revision plastic piston-actuated electrical diverter valve, EVERYTHING went back to normal. And i mean back to normal as in peak 21 PSI and steady hold at 14-16 PSI.
Son of a promiscuously behaving mother.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im finally starting a job next month that will allow me to spend as much money as i want on the car so the first thing im going to do is hand it over to Pfaff Tuning in Toronto. Whatever it takes, the most important object in my life is going to get the best custom ECU tune.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
So i learned some TIG welding and did up the throttle body pipe. Reset the computer with some VAG-COM action as well. Used a two-ton press to make a shaped indent in the aluminium pipe right where the fan cut through with some extra room to spare. The indent is just enough to clear the fan and does not protrude into the inner circumference of the TBP too much. At least nothing compared to how effed up the air path is in the stock TBP. Drove fine for 5 minutes, threw a CEL, went into limp mode. I promptly pulled over, exited the vehicle and let the world know exactly what it is that i feel for this particular mechanical malfunction.
Apparently a boost leak seeking path through a cut 1 inch in length in a TBP does not qualify as a big enough issue to trigger such events because as soon as i replaced the "D"-revision diverter valve, thats right, the "D"-revision plastic piston-actuated electrical diverter valve, EVERYTHING went back to normal. And i mean back to normal as in peak 21 PSI and steady hold at 14-16 PSI.
Post of the year so far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Um... builds character?

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Im finally starting a job next month that will allow me to spend as much money as i want on the car so the first thing im going to do is hand it over to Pfaff Tuning in Toronto. Whatever it takes, the most important object in my life is going to get the best custom ECU tune.
So, a few questions. If I buy the BSH pipe, should I expect the fan to wear a hole in it as well? Or do you think it's the particular layout of your car (why variation?) that put the pipe a little too close?

I think the neuspeed and other brands have a very similar design, and I've never heard (read) of this happening before. The pipe does have a bend in it, maybe it was rotated to much towards the fan?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the nomination, Coltello.
Summiz, yes it does. This is a learning experience.
kootenaydub, You most likely will not experience the same problem as me. There is an updated part. However, it is impossible to rotate the pipe out of factory spec as it is secured by an additional extension with zero room to spare, via a very sturdy and tightly done up bolt. Perhaps its the unusual temperature variations in the region... perhaps its black magic. I dont know. And i dont feel like getting involved with overseas warranty.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Thank you for the nomination, Coltello.
Summiz, yes it does. This is a learning experience.
kootenaydub, You most likely will not experience the same problem as me. There is an updated part. However, it is impossible to rotate the pipe out of factory spec as it is secured by an additional extension with zero room to spare, via a very sturdy and tightly done up bolt. Perhaps its the unusual temperature variations in the region... perhaps its black magic. I dont know. And i dont feel like getting involved with overseas warranty.
alright, thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts