Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been hearing that a lot of people use plasti dip for numerous small jobs on their car like te badges or the rims... I wanted to know a couple of things about this option-
1- how permanent is it exactly? Do I have to keep repainting?
2- is it easy to remove?
3- when I'm washing and detailing my car, is there any kind of special attention I need to give to the dipped areas or can I wash it like regular paint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1- I have had my emblems plasti dipped for about a year and they are showing no wear and look the same as they did when freshly sprayed.
2- as long as you do a minimum of 4 coats then yes, pick at it with a toothpick to make a hole and peel it all off. comes off mostly in onc peice.
3- I dont, I just wash a usual.

hope that helps.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
1- I have had my emblems plasti dipped for about a year and they are showing no wear and look the same as they did when freshly sprayed.
2- as long as you do a minimum of 4 coats then yes, pick at it with a toothpick to make a hole and peel it all off. comes off mostly in onc peice.
3- I dont, I just wash a usual.

hope that helps.
same points ^^

·
Registered
4 Posts
1- It's as permanent as you want it to be. The only time i had to re-paint was when i clipped a curb and scuffed my wheel.
2- Removal is pretty simple. Peel a little corner from what you want to remove then slowly pull the rest off. 4 coats seems to be the minimum for removal to work easily.
3- I have heard that you should wait a few days before you wash anything that you dipped. From what I've seen it can take up to a week to fully "cure".
I waited about 4 days then used a power washer on my dipped emblems and wheels and had no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes, hundreds of them. all over the interwebz. google is a great thing. lol.

here is one of them as reference.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zDJgn-5Nc0

dude for badges it is as easy as could be. mask off anything you dont want to spray and just spray it. badges sit a little bit off the paint because of the adhesive strips underneath them. this creates a gap and makes it so anything that is on the paint peels off and leaves the badge untouched. I just used masking tape to mask off a rectangle around the rear GTI emblem, sprayed 6 coats, then peeled off the rectangle. for the trunk hatch emblem, lift the trunk release/logo and use a razor blade very carefully to seperate the logo from the hatch handle. you will see that they are two peices.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
rimz yo

wash wheels
buy recipe/index cards from the dollar store, stuff into gap between wheel and tire, overlapping
spray 4+ coats
remove cards, you're done

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You dont have to sand to get it to stick better?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
no... its not paint.. no sanding required

first coat of dip is very light that acts as the rough surface to get better adhesion..

follow the dipyourcar tutorials on youtube to get a better understanding on how to use plasti dip

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
no... its not paint.. no sanding required

first coat of dip is very light that acts as the rough surface to get better adhesion..

follow the dipyourcar tutorials on youtube to get a better understanding on how to use plasti dip
Yes this^
The dipyourcar tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom really helped me when I did my mk6 side rails and rear valence.
Just a heads up, it kinda looks bad at first but evens out as it dries between coats. And when you get close to the bottom of the can it starts to come out kinda globby but surprisingly evens itself out. Just as a precaution I left a little in the can and moved to the next one. All in all its pretty forgiving stuff.
In reference to your third question I have heard of some peeps having large dipped areas grab and hold fibers from their micro fiber towels when drying? Others here can debunk this maybe? But I don't know for sure first hand because I clear coated my pieces. Good luck and post up some pics!

·
Registered
120 Posts
For your rims you don't even need to use index cards or anything else for the tires, the guy from dipyourcar.com doesn't. Just make sure you over spray a little on the tire and it will peel right off. Anything that doesn't peel off with rub off by hand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.