Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey MyFastGTI'ers,

I did a full wash and vacuum on my car today. While I was putting wet and black on my tires, I came across a bulge in the outer wall of my right front tire. I have done all the service requirements, 5K tire rotation and check up, 10K oil change tire rotation and check up, and I was scheduled this week for my 15K rotation and check up. My car literally just rolled over 14.5K. These are the stock Dunlops that came with the car. Couple questions:

1) Should these tires last longer? I know they suck, but come on...

2) How long did your stock Dunlop's last?

3) Is this something I should bring to the dealers attention? If so, what arguments shall I prepare?

4) Recommendations for new tires? Any other info you want to provide will be great.

Thanks! Photos below:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Looks like a sidewall pothole pinch. Common with the Perellis I've read. Not sure about the Dunlops. I'd bring it up to the dealer, but you might be sol. Check your warranty booklet first maybe. Tires have different coverage? Sux dood! They shiney doe!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a sidewall pothole pinch. Common with the Perellis I've read. Not sure about the Dunlops. I'd bring it up to the dealer, but you might be sol. Check your warranty booklet first maybe. Tires have different coverage? Sux dood! They shiney doe!
Grrr dern it. How long will it last? Def shiney doe!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Last? Whats done is done I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Ya never know. Might get lucky. That bubble doesnt look as bad as some I've seen. Dunlop might cover it. Should be some documentation re: tire warranty. Or spring for some summer stickies and new rimz yo! Lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth, I just got a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 XL's. Only had them for about 500 miles so far so any info is very rough. I do like them. They are quieter than the original set and the handling is much improved. Take this with a grain of salt...they could fall apart tomorrow but as of now, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya never know. Might get lucky. That bubble doesnt look as bad as some I've seen. Dunlop might cover it. Should be some documentation re: tire warranty. Or spring for some summer stickies and new rimz yo! Lol.
Totez dood! I hope so, I've had a couple reinforcements that they should be under warranty. I avoid potholes like I avoid the gospel and don't remember hitting anything that could have done this.

Just incase, what wraps are you running? I'd like to go all season.

For what it's worth, I just got a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 XL's. Only had them for about 500 miles so far so any info is very rough. I do like them. They are quieter than the original set and the handling is much improved. Take this with a grain of salt...they could fall apart tomorrow but as of now, I'm impressed.
Thanks for the recommendation sir! Are they all seasons?

·
Registered
50 Posts
They a max performance summer tires. I live in Florida and just seem to forget about snow and ice. Not sure how they would work in winter, but definitely err on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They a max performance summer tires. I live in Florida and just seem to forget about snow and ice. Not sure how they would work in winter, but definitely err on the safe side.
lol those won't help me out here man, but thanks for the recommendation anyways dood!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****s toast bro dude. Potholes bubble sidewalls. Get a new tire!
Grrrr. Thats what I suspected. Lame. It sucks out here because of all the frost wedging, right after winter some of the worst potholes you have ever seen grow like zits on the road. Sometimes, unavoidable and inevitable. Should I replace both fronts?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what happens when you hit a deep pothole.
Yeah, but I never hit a deep pothole, or at least one that was like 'oh sh*t, that was a deep pothole.' I would have remembered that. Likely just a combination of a small pothole and the cheap stock Dunlops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts