Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Personal Tales of Shock and Awe

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  GranTurismoInjection 
#1 ·
I've heard a few people talking about either smoking or getting smoked by the competition. I thought a thread in which people could post their antics might provide some entertainment in all of our otherwise mundane lives.

As I exited the off-ramp from the highway on my way home from work, I noticed a red Jetta GLI was in front of me by about 50 feet. We make the left turn and meander through a few lights before I can get next to him at a light. I had a moment of clarity and decided this commute was a golden opportunity to test the difference between driving in "D" with no paddle shifting and "S" with paddle shifting.

D - We were about even off the line, but he started pulling away in what looked like 3rd gear. We're weaving between cars with the GLI about 5 ft in front of me before I start to overtake him. At the light it was me by about 30 feet. Max speed was about 90. I look over and we do the "what's up" chin-nod for another go.

S - Not even worth a discussion. Smoked that ass. For those of you lurking, wondering about the smoothness of the shifts, take it from me, the quarter second between engaging and disengaging the clutch took its toll on the guy. Max speed was a little over 100. Up until tonight, I've really only appreciated the handling. Now I got a taste of the speed and tranny performance. Incredible.

For those of you who are from Texas and know Dallas, Garland Road around White Rock lake provides some nice runs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Especially when Grand turns into Garland by the golf course, the roads have some nice S-curves with trees arching over them. We were just dicking around until the intersection of Grand and Gaston. Then it's ON. Straight up to Buckner, you've got a track.

#4 ·
today i took my mom on the sawgrass (florida highway)... alright well first of all before we even got out of my neighbor hood she was having panic attacks and screaming like a little girl. i have come to realize if she hears a cars engine go over 3000 RPM she flips the hell out. (remember i am with my mom so no really stupid driving). so finally we make it onto the sawgrass and we are going about 80mph and she is like "jeff look at all these cars going 80mph they are all going to get a ticket" so then i replied "we are going 80 also(with a big smile on my face)" believe it or not she didnt even say anything.
i seriously dont understand my mom... 25mph at over 3000RPM and she flips out but 80-85 she sits there and is fine... whats the deal ladies??? :eek:

#5 ·
my favorite place to drive fast here in dallas is central, at about 2pm it's dead both north and south, cop free for the most part, wide open roads ready to be dominated. george bush is also fun, but out of my way so i never go up there. tollway lanes are just to small to do anything fast, however i did see a lambo murcielago today doing at least 100 just north of royal. i don't really speed on any other roads though because the quality of the roads here in dallas are, put simply, shit.

#6 ·
We have these country roads outside of the city called "Range Roads". My last speeding ticket was on one, but other than that I haven't seen a cop on one of these roads in all my life. They are perfectly straight, running north/south (some for many miles, if there isn't a lake in the way). Often times no stop signs either, it's the Township Roads that intersect them that usually have the Stops. For the most part they're well paved, but no lines on the road. Wide enough for two cars to run side by side and mostly flat enough that you can see a mile or more ahead of you for oncoming traffic. They're awesome for racing, back in high school we did it all the time. I had my old old Jetta (MkII, two cars ago) up to 120mph once. Going down a hill of course. Keep in mind it's not a wide open highway. I have yet to really test my GTI on these roads as I'm really scared of cops after my last ticket on one of those roads. Plus, unlike on a highway, doing such speeds on these roads is actually kinda dangerous due to wildlife and possible people/kids/cows walking along the road.

#7 ·
Shock and awe huh.. how bout I havent seen or driven my GTI for the last 3 fucking weeks...I was rear ended a while back and I posted pics, and had to drive all fucked up for 3 weeks while I waited for parts to come in from Germany. Then when they got in and the shop did the teardown, there was another part that we needed and it just got in after 3 weeks, hopefully I get it back next week.. Im jonesing...Im driving a Pontiac G6 now and its destroying my soul...

Also, we have this thing out here called La Fevre, (Fever) every sat night where some people get together and race by some truck distributing area. I used to go back when I was younger and about 300 cars would meet up at a Sonics around 10 and wait for the police to come and mess with us, so then we would split up in a few groups and go to a gas station, hang out and wait for the police to tell us to leave and go to another gas station...
this went on until there was about 10 small groups and then they would go race at different spots, this way the police would have to find each group and it would take them longer, so we could have more runs..

But a couple of weeks ago after hot import nights I went, and its so different.. fewer cars, and they race and return on the same strip?? instead of coming back using the parking lots that are all connected.. I guess people think its fun to play chicken while racing another car down the 1/4 mile..anyways, I was there for a whole 15 minutes before police came and everyone scattered...I guess Im getting old...

#9 ·
Both D and S can be paddle shifted at any time, but D is so "ninny-tuned" that I didn't bother. I just wanted to do a full automatic run against the guy. When I was in S, I took full advantage of the paddle-shifting capabilities at the higher revs the car will let me get to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.