Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a New Yorker who's very seriously looking to buy a GTI from a dealer in PA. It's listed on the internet. I'd REALLY like to avoid paying about 2 grand for both states' taxes, but I know I'll end up having to pay NY's when I get it registered. Does anyone know if it's possible/how to avoid paying PA sales tax? I'd especially prefer not getting ripped off by the dealer if they tell me I've got to pay both, so I'll need specifics in order to be able to refute them if they decide to spoon-feed me some bs. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought mine out of state, techinically speaking since I am Canadian who purchased in Ohio.

But regardless, the dealer made me sign this document that said I would pay the sales taxes in my home state and thus did not have to pay the Ohio sales tax. He asked for proof of residence (driver's license) from the State and that's it.

I can post a pic of my Bill of sale if you wish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With autos, you pay sales tax where you live, not where you buy it. I bought my GTI in IL but I live in MO. Only paid MO sales tax. The dealer had me sign a IL sales tax form that said I lived elsewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.