Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I have a check engine light on for a engine temp running too low, a p3081. I checked my coolant sensor and its a black one, not a green one. So that could be the problem. My temp gauge, has never shown any issue. Its always dead center after warming up and always stays there. But some wierd symptoms have me concerned. SCENARIO: I get up bright and early, drive to university. Cars been off for the night. Everything is fine. Starts beautifully, drives smoothly. Go to class. Come back to the car 7 hours later. Same deal, everything is perfect. It gets tricky when the car is off for only a short time and then started again. I then get the following symptoms.

1. Weak start, I can best describe it as the car "burbling up to revs"
2. Sometimes the revs are irregular. They hover between 1 up to 1.25.
3. If 2. happens, the car rides choppy for the first few minutes of driving, then evens out and everythings fine.
4. This has hapened to my twice. The car wont start initially. Starts after cycling the ignition then giving it gas. Then starts with a gassy smell in the air.

It could be multiple problems. As I'm assuming. CEL has been on for a little while, symptoms just started popping up recently.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
He's on bags so he cheats.

What other codes are you throwing or is that the only one?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I'd replace the sensor and go from there. If it's anything like the black temp sensor on vr's, your symptoms are minimal and quite lucky. Most vr motors barely run when that sensor goes bad.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Coolant temp sensor. Be sure to buy one that has a green plug.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Did you read the link I posted

It says possible cause

Bad temp sensor

Tapatalk This

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Did you read the link I posted

It says possible cause

Bad temp sensor

Tapatalk This
Some people don't think coolant sensors would have this kind of effect.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.