1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

2006 GTI FSI
No mods

So the other morning it was -16 degrees outside. I let the GTI warm up for about 20 minutes before driving to work. On my way out, as I accelerated through the gears, I felt the engine "buck" a little bit and the boost/acceleration was extremely sluggish. After about 30 minutes the car felt like it 'broke free' and it drove normal. The next morning the same thing happened in 8 degree weather but the CEL came on and the problem didn't go away.

On my way home from work I stopped at the VW dealer I pass and pulled the codes: P2293 and P0087. The guy told me that he's been getting a lot of this with the extreme cold and to keep it warm in the garage. F*ck that, I'm not paying to heat my drafty garage.

From looking around here, it looks like it could be the HPFV. My question is this, should I start with the cam follower first? I haven't replaced it since I bought the car with 60k miles and I now have 135k (within 3 years). So I probably should anyway. I'm hoping I'm not going to run into this every time it dips below 0. I moved back up to New Hampshire and it's going to happen again.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't sound people think the cam follower could be causing this. Here's what I'll do:

1. Replace cam follower anyway cause I know I've been putting it off.
2. Inspect the PCV while I'm in there. Am I looking cracks? bad connection? wear and tear? I'm assuming all of the above.
3. Anything else I should inspect or look at?

Could the cold have put the car in safe/limp mode? (something I didn't know existed)

Thanks for all the help ROH ECHT! I'll definitely use the DIY.

Yes, change the cam follower if at 130k+ miles. But you are going to need to inspect the fuel pump cam lobe as well. You have low rail fuel pressure with those codes. No boost is due to it likely being in safe/limp mode now.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Search?search=p0087&fulltext=Go
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18725/P2293/008851

I have a diy vid for the cam follower if needed:

PCV:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_R--2.0T/Engine/Emissions/PCV/

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
To check the pcv...you just need to partially pull out the dipstick and if the idle gets rough, then the pcv is OK.
The cold shouldn't have anything to do with limp mode.
Since it keeps going into limp mode....I suggest you stop driving it until you check the cam follower. Because along with those codes I believe you'll find that it is the cam follower that has worn through. And, unfortunately, by the time it throws a code it has damaged the intake cam as well. But I hope I'm wrong for your sake ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's an easy thing to check! The idle does get rough so the PCV is ok. But once the weather warmed up the problem and codes went away.

Nevertheless, I'm picking up a new cam follower Monday. I'll replace that this week.

Thanks for all the help!

To check the pcv...you just need to partially pull out the dipstick and if the idle gets rough, then the pcv is OK.
The cold shouldn't have anything to do with limp mode.
Since it keeps going into limp mode....I suggest you stop driving it until you check the cam follower. Because along with those codes I believe you'll find that it is the cam follower that has worn through. And, unfortunately, by the time it throws a code it has damaged the intake cam as well. But I hope I'm wrong for your sake ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
O0
Get back if it gets fixed, because the other issue may be the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I replaced the cam follower last night ....or at least what was left of it!!

I took a picture but I can't figure out how to get it on this post. The cam follower was completely obliterated. I took out the cylinder sidewalls in one piece but the end was in 3 pieces. I don't know how long I've been driving on this.

MY QUESTION: Since I've been driving with a busted follower, what did that potentially do to the engine? Anything I should check or keep an eye out for?

side note: That bolt on the bottom of the HPFP that uses an M8 bit ....good F-ing god that was a pain!! I guess that's called the Banjo bolt? Any way around that?

thanks

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Ok, so I replaced the cam follower last night ....or at least what was left of it!!

I took a picture but I can't figure out how to get it on this post. The cam follower was completely obliterated. I took out the cylinder sidewalls in one piece but the end was in 3 pieces. I don't know how long I've been driving on this.

MY QUESTION: Since I've been driving with a busted follower, what did that potentially do to the engine? Anything I should check or keep an eye out for?

side note: That bolt on the bottom of the HPFP that uses an M8 bit ....good F-ing god that was a pain!! I guess that's called the Banjo bolt? Any way around that?

thanks
The whole pump is basically toast and there's metal everywhere in the engine. The cam is probably screwed up too. This is gonna cost thousands to fix.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts

thanks
yeah, I'd seriously consider throwing in a new cam follower and sell that car asap before it craps on you, unless you have cash to replace the motor.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it all back.

Just replace you follower and check the plunger and cam are okay. If they look good, just replace the cam and keep on dubbin. BUT check the follower every 5-10k, it will probably wear again.

Read this

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183122&page=2
Thanks for the link. SO since I replaced the cam, it sounds like I should just keep my ears open for any abnormalities in-case there's metal in the engine (I cringe to think...) and keep checking it every 10k or so.

In that MKV forum thread, they were talking about it being covered by VW, or at least for the early FSI engines. Any idea about that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So in the future if this were to happen again (not that I plan on letting that happen) and the CEL pops on and it ends up being a busted cam, they will replace it under warranty?

They'll only look at it if there's a CEL. If you do get a CEL NOW, they'll open it up and see a perfectly good cam follower so...You might be in a pickle there.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
So in the future if this were to happen again (not that I plan on letting that happen) and the CEL pops on and it ends up being a busted cam, they will replace it under warranty?
I'd check that first with VWofA or the local dealership. Because I think there's going to be some damage to throw a CEL. You're better off just checking it often and replace when necessary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.