Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate is yours?

Mine was reading 109°F today :eek:

I passed a temperature display on a business that read 102°F.

Damn it's hot >:D

·
Registered
530 Posts
When the temperature outside is cooler, my say below about 70 degrees MFD seemed to be close when compared to other themometers, now I believe it is high by about 5-6 degrees. Today it read 94 degrees and my thermometer at home showed 88. Is there any way to calibrate this?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NVGTI said:
When the temperature outside is cooler, my say below about 70 degrees MFD seemed to be close when compared to other themometers, now I believe it is high by about 5-6 degrees. Today it read 94 degrees and my thermometer at home showed 88. Is there any way to calibrate this?
I didn't see anything in VAG-Com that would allow calibration. I also think the color of our cars and the interior may ramp up the sensor when it's hot out.

If it was a few degrees warmer today, I would have thought I made a wrong turn and was in Vegas. :p

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dragon said:
NVGTI said:
I didn't see anything in VAG-Com that would allow calibration. I also think the color of our cars and the interior may ramp up the sensor when it's hot out.

If it was a few degrees warmer today, I would have thought I made a wrong turn and was in Vegas. :p
I was thinking the color of the car had something to do with it, but I also thought the temp shown would be closer to actual temp after a few minutes of driving. hmm, maybe not driving fast/long enoough.

Be careful Dragon, you really don't want to end up in Vegas, or Phoenix for that matter, this time of year, your Fast will melt!
8)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NVGTI said:
Dragon said:
NVGTI said:

I was thinking the color of the car had something to do with it, but I also thought the temp shown would be closer to actual temp after a few minutes of driving. hmm, maybe not driving fast/long enoough.

Be careful Dragon, you really don't want to end up in Vegas, or Phoenix for that matter, this time of year, your Fast will melt!
8)
I lived in PHX... everything and anything will melt there! ( I miss the monsoons)

·
Registered
577 Posts
The highest its been on mine was 2 days ago 120 degrees- yikes!

I hate driving in this heat, it makes me think it WILL melt, but the engine temp guage hasnt budged once, even in those temps. Amazing car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
with most car temp sensors, you need to drive a little to get the actual temp because of it sitting in the heat. Now, black or dark cars will be hotter but it might not directly effect the Temp sense. if it is not close to the paint. Another thought: I am an HVAC technician and thats what i do for a living. In my town (grand Junction, CO) the temperature varies at diiferent areas of the city and i mean by a lot. I can be in one area measuring say 99.9F and then 10 minutes in another place measuring 106F and then again somewhere else measuring 103.5F. I take measurements all day long at each job i come to to measure A/C System's superheat and charge systems correctly. If you temp sensor is 5-6 degrees off, don't worry because it is probably right, just drive for a while to see if it stabalizes and it may be right or may go down or up. Another thing to consider is where the News station you listen too gets there Temp info because it is in a different area as well. On average, the NOAA weather station here is about 6-8 degrees colder then i read consistenly. In the summer when they are getting 104F, i might get 111F. In the winter when they are reading 4F i might get 12F.
TO summerize: it all depends on location and how long your car is setting can also be a variable.

p.s.i also get around 6-20F hotter then outside ambient on rooftops depending on the roof color and outside temp. Food for thought.

·
Registered
230 Posts
at first mine is a little off, like right when i hop in the car. but then after a few minutes it goes down or up a little to what it really is outside

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I think it displays more of a "feels like" temperature.

It kept displaying 100-104 when according to the weather it was 95...

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Here in Vegas we should just change the display to: SCORCHING/BAKING/ROASTING/SWELTERING/SIZZLING/BLAZING/BURNING/BLISTERING

[flame]

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
How hot is it up there?

it's only been about 110 this summer... it was higher last one.

Houston, TX by the way.. It's humid too.. i think that makes it worse

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Ouch......... 110 and humidity - that must be a killer. I lived in Belgium all my life and in the summer it was in the nineties with 80% humidity: that was too much for me, especially when nobody has A/C

Vegas has dry heat - like a baking oven - hottest we had this year was about 120 - today is was 103.
Thank goodness for the pool which has 85 degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Yeah humidity is killer. I'm working with my dad (carpenter) and we're currently working on a house in the process of being built and it has no A/C. Just standing there beads of sweat form on your arms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.