Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of Microsoft's latest slam against the development of human intellect (not to mention the existence of Vista), I have started looking into alternatives to Windows. I was thinking about going Mac but I use my laptop almost exclusively and their notebooks are just too expensive. I recently downloaded Fedora but am not having much luck getting it installed.

Anyway; who out there has any opinion and good comparisons between Windows, Mac OS and/or any of the various Linux OS's? And what else is out there with a decent GUI?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
BFP, what do you do? In my opinion this has a big impact on your choice.
ANYTHING but vista :-[

If you can run WinXP and it is setup correctly (patched/SPs good antivirus and good antispyware) you can have a pretty stable system.

I have a RedHat box here- but I never use it.

Apples are great UNTIL you have a problem... their support is aweful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
if u have the money .. get APPLE

i am using macs, have been for past 12 years ... always loved macs .....

i work at IBM .... and since IBM computers comes with windows ... and the laptop they gave me has windows on it ... i hate it .. i my self go Ubuntu Linux .... great linux .. easy to install and u can do a lot with it


never do windows ... it sucks ...... and i mean sucks big time
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Croatian said:
if u have the money .. get APPLE

i am using macs, have been for past 12 years ... always loved macs .....

i work at IBM .... and since IBM computers comes with windows ... and the laptop they gave me has windows on it ... i hate it .. i my self go Ubuntu Linux .... great linux .. easy to install and u can do a lot with it

never do windows ... it sucks ...... and i mean sucks big time
I'm sure if you have a Core Duo IBM you could coerce it to run OS-X... I've seen it run on a Dell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uncle dude said:
BFP, what do you do? In my opinion this has a big impact on your choice.
I'm a test analyst for the Air Force so I don't have any choice at work; Windows all the way. Besides, I've used Windows since 3.1. I'm just kinda getting sick of MS's shit now so I wanna wean myself off as much as I can. Right now I have my old desktop (converted to a media center) that I don't use but for burning DVD's. I'm going to replace my notebook soon so I figured I'd try out a few different Linux setups on the desktop to see if I could learn to live with it. Otherwise I'll either buck up for a Mac or lose my nerve and get an evil Vista piece.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
uncle dude said:
BFP, what do you do? In my opinion this has a big impact on your choice.
I'm a test analyst for the Air Force so I don't have any choice at work; Windows all the way. Besides, I've used Windows since 3.1. I'm just kinda getting sick of MS's shit now so I wanna wean myself off as much as I can. Right now I have my old desktop (converted to a media center) that I don't use but for burning DVD's. I'm going to replace my notebook soon so I figured I'd try out a few different Linux setups on the desktop to see if I could learn to live with it. Otherwise I'll either buck up for a Mac or lose my nerve and get an evil Vista piece.
Depending who you get the PC from, occasionally you can license the previous OS using your existing license. In otherwords you buy a Vista license but you or the OEM legally load XP. That way if you are truly forced to go to Vista, you add your 8GB RAM and your Quad Core proc and you are all set!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,420 Posts
I started a topic way back when... it was called PC vs. Mac... I love my MacBook. had it for almost half a year and no problems yet! By this time on my old PC I already had a virus... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I kept up with the whole PC vs Mac discussion. Now I'm trying to figure out if the difference between Linux and Mac OS is worth the extra grand to be spent on a MacBook Pro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
Yeah, I kept up with the whole PC vs Mac discussion. Now I'm trying to figure out if the difference between Linux and Mac OS is worth the extra grand to be spent on a MacBook Pro.
Mac -- More money ... cooler and easier to use Operating System

PC -- Affordable .... u can use linux with is close to Mac OS X .. both based on UNIX .. just diff GUI (graphic user interface) and comand lines are the same for both

in the end ... if u want to spend 2K and don't care if it is a mac or dell .. i say get a Dell and put a Linux on it .. it will last u just as long as a MAC

Mac look more stylish then other computrs .... there is nothing a Mac can do the at Linux can't do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Dragon said:
Croatian said:
if u have the money .. get APPLE

i am using macs, have been for past 12 years ... always loved macs .....

i work at IBM .... and since IBM computers comes with windows ... and the laptop they gave me has windows on it ... i hate it .. i my self go Ubuntu Linux .... great linux .. easy to install and u can do a lot with it

never do windows ... it sucks ...... and i mean sucks big time
I'm sure if you have a Core Duo IBM you could coerce it to run OS-X... I've seen it run on a Dell.
Yeah i have the new IBM ... they give us a new one every year ... i saw that somehwere .. but why would u wanna put Mac OS X on a PC laptop ... it wont do u any good ......

i like my Linux on my IBM .. more stable and my work actually aproves it that way i am not pissing off my Managment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
I've been using Macs at home for about 14 years, and pc's at work. If you have the time, I sugest that you go to an Apple store and spend some serious time learning about the Mac OS and the software that comes with it. I'm not trying to sell you a Mac, but I think you should check it out at least. Make the sales people go over as much of the software that comes with it, make him/her point out the "trailware" shit that costs more $$. Here's a link to the store finder. http://www.apple.com/buy/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
ive done extensive research on windows and mac's. the big difference is the gui. other than the down to down OS is pretty much the same. that is to say the registry is all set up the same, bit a still moved with tcp/ip, it really only what u see. also remember macs will never be as fast as computers running a different platform.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
i have been running xp sence i started building computers but i have to say that i have never tried any other os yet i got the full version of vista ultimate that i downloaded and serial keys but the when i tried to install it on my computer my raid driver was not compatiable and they still do not have a raid driver that will work so i have not installed it yet but i am running a 64 w xp and the graphics are much better but i just do not like to 64 bit xp compared to the 32 bit xp that i noramlly use time for a reload damn i hate doing that it takes too long lol do not used 64 bit win xp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
mygreyfast88 said:
ive done extensive research on windows and mac's. the big difference is the gui. other than the down to down OS is pretty much the same. that is to say the registry is all set up the same, bit a still moved with tcp/ip, it really only what u see. also remember macs will never be as fast as computers running a different platform.
There is a big diff between Windows and Macs

Macs are based on Unix Code
Windows are based on x86 Code

Also ... the speed of the computer is based on the Processor not of the Operating System .... Memory Resorces are depended on Operating System ... and Windows .. Kernal has horible memory managment ... thats why windows get BLUE SCREEN OF Death ...

also all MACS can run any distro of LINUX on there Computer Just like Windows Can ... so what are u trying to say there buddy .......
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
i hate the blue screan of death i got that a lot when i loaded xp 64 bit until i went on line and got all the newest updates for my vga and sound card
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top