My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sir Drives em all
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, when I look for a new/different car to buy, does it ALWAYS say"oil/fluids changed every 2000-3000 miles". I call bullshit on this and every other ad I see. It almost makes me not want to even look at that car. Do people eat that sh*t up? Sorry I'm going off here, but I've been looking for a 4x4 for awhile now, and everyone apparently spends one day each week flushing every fluid, and when they're on the road apparently they just pull over and change their oil on the side of the road. I must be missing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
running a jeep tj rock crawling i changed my oil every 3000 miles , after every trip out to four wheel i changed my dif and relube my drive shafts,control arms. they run pretty hot so if you left the oil in to long they tend to over heat, if your willing to run a high priced synth oil you can get 5k - 6k out of them.
 

·
Sir Drives em all
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whiterabbitmk5 said:
running a jeep tj rock crawling i changed my oil every 3000 miles , after every trip out to four wheel i changed my dif and relube my drive shafts,control arms. they run pretty hot so if you left the oil in to long they tend to over heat, if your willing to run a high priced synth oil you can get 5k - 6k out of them.
I can understand certain conditions, especially car enthusiasts or "work" vehicles, but "female driven, soccer mom around town vehicle, highway miles, Scottsdale mom SUV" This is the bullshit I'm talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
PMAZ said:
I can understand certain conditions, especially car enthusiasts or "work" vehicles, but "female driven, soccer mom around town vehicle, highway miles, Scottsdale mom SUV" This is the bullshit I'm talking about.
Indeed. My mother-in-law had me drive to the other side fo town to "take a look at her car" because "something was wrong with it." Turns out her wiper fluid was low, so she was getting a warning light. To her credit, though, at least she didn't buy a gallon of fluid and pour it anywhere under the hood.

I looked at a car when I worked at the Mitsu dealer where the lady poured antifreeze (unmixed, no less) into the oil filler. I asked her is she realized that the cap she removed said "oil" on it. She said no. Her car was there for a month for a non-warranty engine replacement.
 

·
Sir Drives em all
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I saw a motor one time that had all "Prolong" in it. Instead of an additive, they just went for straight "Prolong". Looked like lava rock in the bottom end.
 

·
Sir Drives em all
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just don't try to sell a car and say "fluids changed every 2000-3000 miles" unless you're really stoked on your ability to change oil or can show reciepts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
My old 90 MKII had a 'progressive oil change' feature. (Change-on-the-go) Pour a quart in every other day and let that bad pan gasket do the rest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Mr. Spool said:
My old 90 MKII had a 'progressive oil change' feature. (Change-on-the-go) Pour a quart in every other day and let that bad pan gasket do the rest!
HA! I had a Dodge Omni (VW engine) with the same feature!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
On my previous cars I have always changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles, basically whenever I got around to it. But this is when the manufacturer recommended it. I do it every 10,000 miles on my Fast, except for the first 2 changes done at 5K and 10K as indicated by the manual. I also keep all the receipts and keep a log of when I change my oil or do other maintenance. It's a simple few seconds that can really pay off when you sell the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Mr. Spool said:
My old 90 MKII had a 'progressive oil change' feature. (Change-on-the-go) Pour a quart in every other day and let that bad pan gasket do the rest!
My Jetta MkII had the same feature. At least it was always running clean oil. I didn't know how to do my own oil change anyway, so the extra money I spent on oil was made up for the fact that I didn't have to bring it to a shop for oil changes.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top