Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and i really want it. the salesman showed me the list price and the 'invoice' price. the invoice was about 25,500.00... somewhere around there.. im wondering if there is anything i can say to him to drop that price as much as possible. its black, leather, sunroof... ahh i want it so bad! but i cant afford 399.00 a month with 4000.00 down for a 6 year finance.. (i believe thats what it was that he quoted me i have it written down at home and will update that when i get home) let me know if you guys have any ideas on how to bargain with a vw dealer..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i was thinking about used but i really want a new one - especially this one its exactly what i want. i wonder if anyone on here knows like the 'magic word' to have them drop the price.. i know they have room to play with the price i just dont know how to get it out there!

·
Registered
635 Posts
some financial advice..never buy a car new....at my dealer a gti is 26-28k...and one that is used..barely, 4k miles 06 and its 20-21k...like the mercedes SLK amg..brand new 70-75k...2 years old 50k you just saved 25k..hell of alot of cash...also like u said its 399 a month for payments and add insurance for me its about 250 a month or something so with the money you save on buying new that gives you 333 dollars extra a month to pay off insurance for a whole year or w/e lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kylmos said:
some financial advice..never buy a car new....at my dealer a gti is 26-28k...and one that is used..barely, 4k miles 06 and its 20-21k...like the mercedes SLK amg..brand new 70-75k...2 years old 50k you just saved 25k..hell of alot of cash...also like u said its 399 a month for payments and add insurance for me its about 250 a month or something so with the money you save on buying new that gives you 333 dollars extra a month to pay off insurance for a whole year or w/e lol
you know it sounds good on paper but then theres the interest rates you have to consider for used.. so do you really save? and plus its not new! discuss.. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
do you have anything to trade in?...best thing to do..pay it in cash lol...the bank takes all of your money if you dont lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
My wife and I actually took an entire day (about 16 hours) to buy ours back in December. We were able to bring our '07 w/ Package 1 (weird cause it has the 18" rims and sunroof, but no leather or NAV system) price from $26,500 down to $22,500. But it was difficult cause there really is no magic word you can say. We kinda played games though, acting like we didn't know anything about the car, and that the thought of buying the GTI was a passing thought (it was hard, but we didn't show any excitement during the test drive). We acted like we weren't really impressed with the car and asked if he could give us a good price on it. By the way, NEVER mentioned anything about a monthly payment. You have to push for them to bring down the final price without taking ANYTHING else into account, such as trade-ins, financing, etc.. They will push and push you to discuss those things. Also, and this is kinda important cause it brought the price down another $1500. Go to another VW dealership and see what they offer you, then call the first one back with a better price, even if they didn't give it to you. We did this, and they hated it. Luckily there were two other dealerships about 10 mins. away. Hopefully this helps. Other people probably have all kinds of tricks for buying a car, but I am pretty happy with how ours turned out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ecoterragaia said:
My wife and I actually took an entire day (about 16 hours) to buy ours back in December. We were able to bring our '07 w/ Package 1 (weird cause it has the 18" rims and sunroof, but no leather or NAV system) price from $26,500 down to $22,500. But it was difficult cause there really is no magic word you can say. We kinda played games though, acting like we didn't know anything about the car, and that the thought of buying the GTI was a passing thought (it was hard, but we didn't show any excitement during the test drive). We acted like we weren't really impressed with the car and asked if he could give us a good price on it. By the way, NEVER mentioned anything about a monthly payment. You have to push for them to bring down the final price without taking ANYTHING else into account, such as trade-ins, financing, etc.. They will push and push you to discuss those things. Also, and this is kinda important cause it brought the price down another $1500. Go to another VW dealership and see what they offer you, then call the first one back with a better price, even if they didn't give it to you. We did this, and they hated it. Luckily there were two other dealerships about 10 mins. away. Hopefully this helps. Other people probably have all kinds of tricks for buying a car, but I am pretty happy with how ours turned out.
this really makes alot of sense but unfortunately i already test drove it and told him i loved it (big mistake i guess but i did!) and i called him maybe 2 weeks later (yesterday) asking him if the car had been sold yet. he said it wasnt but someone took it for a test drive (it is a showroom car and i knew it was taken out because they had a battery charger hooked up to it when i did some night stalking on the vehicle) so i have already expressed that i am in love with this car... i hope i can get him to lower the price to around 21,000... does anyone think he can go lower than that since it is a 2006??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ecoterragaia said:
also.. how did you spend 16 hours?? now that i think about it its a lil crazy! lol (of course it paid off though ;) )

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, the entire process took about that long. The drive to the first dealership was almost 2 hours, so there and back eats up about 4 hours. Plus there was travel to the two other dealerships. Lots of talking and taking notes and making phone calls back and forth. We went at it a little voraciously because it my first ever new-car purchase. But anyway, you seem to get more out of psychological stuff than logic when in the process of buying a new vehicle. And lots of research (internet) on what they'll try to add to your bill, and what they seem to concentrate on the most in order to make you pay the most that they can. Good luck with everything, I hope that you're able to pay what you want and that you're happy with your car :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although the dealer does seem to play little games with the whole process, when we bought our new GTI a month ago, the most effective thing was just to be slow and honest. We told them we really liked the car, and that we wanted to buy the one they had on the lot (the dealers really like selling off the lot), but didn't want to spend that much. They tried to throw some different payment options, etc... at us, but we just kept telling them the truth - we couldn't afford the total price. We had a max monthly payment in our heads, but I always tried to get them to discuss the final price, because that's what is the most important.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
FAST FREDDIE IS THE FOUNDER OF MYFASTGTI.COM

HE IS THE ONE WHO STARTED THIS FORUM DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOL >:D O0 8) :D ;D :) ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.