Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone intersted in road racing a lil' backroad in my old stomping grounds? >:D

I'd like to see if there is any interest in joining the race:

http://www.openroadracing.com/html/gamblersrun.html

We invite you to participate in our most challenging racing event, the GamblerÂ's Run Twin 50 Open Road Rally. This event is run on scenic State Highway 225 out of Elko, NV. This beautiful and challenging highway runs north out of Elko for 47 miles. On the first leg, rallyers will wind their way through a fast, curvy road with long sweepers and 5-mile straightaways; then, after a short turnaround, they head back south towards Elko. If you are racing as a team, you can each take a turn at the wheel, as driver changes are allowed at the turnaround. Straightaway speeds on this road are expected to exceed 200 MPH for the super-fast Â"King of the HillÂ" 170 mph Class cars!

If youÂ've never participated in an open road rally, you are in for the most exciting form of amateur auto racing being held today. We feature AVERAGE speed classes starting at 85 MPH, going up every 5 MPH to an adrenaline-pumping 170 MPH! Cars Â"raceÂ" against the clock, with the object being to average your chosen target speed EXACTLY. You are allowed to bring some help along, in the form of a co-driver, to guide you through the course and keep the time. The speed class you choose to enter will be determined by the amount of safety equipment on your vehicleÂ-the more you have, the faster you will be allowed to goÂ-and your experience level. All rallyers are assigned a Â"Tech SpeedÂ" based on the safety equipment aboard their car. This speed is higher than the target speed you are aiming for, and you are not allowed to exceed this speed for any reason. For example, if you are in the 120 MPH class, your tech speed will be 140 MPH. If you want to go faster, you must upgrade the safety equipment in your car.

DonÂ't forget that MKM has also added three new Rally Classes: 85 mph and 90 mph, with a Tech Speed of 110 mph, making up the new Street Stock Division, and the exciting new Grand Sport 155 mph class. For 2004, all Grand Sport Division Tech Speeds have been raised to 168 mph (except 1st time rookies).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
I would love to do something like that, unfortunately, my orientation for school interferes with the dates.

Maybe next year, in a friend's 200 mph car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10bv01 said:
I would love to do something like that, unfortunately, my orientation for school interferes with the dates.

Maybe next year, in a friend's 200 mph car.
My boss has a 200+ mph car- I wonder if he'd wanna join for shits and giggles :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Let me check my Calendar Dragon. Was going to look into the Hiko - Lund race in September as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NVGTI said:
Let me check my Calendar Dragon. Was going to look into the Hiko - Lund race in September as well.
I think it would be fun to get some GTI's out there and race for time. Lowest time buys beer after the race ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
I think it would be cheaper to buy the beer than for me to try to catch up with you mods. ;D Here's the link to the Hiko - Lund. Looks like they're running right now and again in September. http://www.sscc.us/318-hwy-event-description.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NVGTI said:
I think it would be cheaper to buy the beer than for me to try to catch up with you mods. javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0); Here's the link to the Hiko - Lund. Looks like they're running right now and again in September. http://www.sscc.us/318-hwy-event-description.htm
Yeah... but I want an unfair advantage- it's been a few years and I know that road (Mountain City Hwy.). I did race support (fire/ems) and we had a blast. Also the official sponsor is the ECVA and they were a former client of mine- so we could get hooked up with good parking ;D

Don't worry about the mods! Just go out and drive FAST!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Yeah... but I want an unfair advantage- it's been a few years and I know that road (Mountain City Hwy.). I did race support (fire/ems) and we had a blast. Also the official sponsor is the ECVA and they were a former client of mine- so we could get hooked up with good parking ;D

Don't worry about the mods! Just go out and drive FAST!!!
[/quote]

I'm gonna have to take a road trip out there to check it out, I'm trying to talk my buddy into going too, (CW GTI) but has to go to Chicago. Have another friend with a '07 WRX and one with a '05 Mustang. Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Damn, I'll get that quote thing down one of these times.
:-[
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NVGTI said:
Damn, I'll get that quote thing down one of these times.
:-[
No worries mate!

If you are concerned with lack of mods- you can be my co-pilot: Sit down, shut up and hold on for dear life- we're goin' racin :eek: ;D

Now- I'd like to see if 22350 can show (and bring his dyno charts). ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Dragon said:
NVGTI said:
Damn, I'll get that quote thing down one of these times.
:-[
No worries mate!

If you are concerned with lack of mods- you can be my co-pilot: Sit down, shut up and hold on for dear life- we're goin' racin :eek: ;D

Now- I'd like to see if 22350 can show (and bring his dyno charts). ;)
I may take you up on that. You do mean 22350's Nissan right? ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NVGTI said:
Dragon said:
NVGTI said:
Damn, I'll get that quote thing down one of these times.
:-[
No worries mate!

If you are concerned with lack of mods- you can be my co-pilot: Sit down, shut up and hold on for dear life- we're goin' racin :eek: ;D

Now- I'd like to see if 22350 can show (and bring his dyno charts). ;)
I may take you up on that. You do mean 22350's Nissan right? ;)
Yes, his 350HP Pulsar:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
^^^Damn! I can't see the huge wing on the back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
^^^^ I knew you would come up with something. That's hilarious!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NVGTI said:
^^^^ I knew you would come up with something. That's hilarious!
22350 better show or else >:D (OR we'll make fun of his wing forever.)

He'll have to break out his new 134Engineering "excuse guage". ;D

(click on it and read the fine print!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
What the!!!

All right...I'll post the Dyno on my Nissan but only if THALO says I can.

The sad thing is, my first car really was a Nissan......... Stanza to be exact. I didn't do anything to it and it was actually a quick car for a 17 year old with no fear. I beat the crap outta that car...and the back seat......ahhhhh sweet memories.

I just scanned the thread...I'll dig into it and see what this hopscotch race is all about...sounds like a winner.

Should be fun to play!!



IT'S NOT ME....DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT DRAGON!!!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top