Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2006 APR Stage 1 GTI with approximately 98k on the clock. I apologize for the length of this post, but I have a big issue and would really appreciate any input you have.

Recently, my engine started sounding much rougher and flashed a 'Low Oil Pressure - Turn off Engine Immediately' warning. I shut it off immediately, and had it towed to my VW dealer. The cam follower had failed. The follower, intake cam, and HPFP were replaced under warranty, however I had the dealer look at the bottom end of the engine. There were significant shavings in the pan as well as one large fragment of the follower. The service adviser has told me there is a shaft in the oil pump that has too much play, and that the oil pump/balance shaft assembly needs to be replaced for around $1900. I made the case that it seems more than coincidental that the follower failed and showered metal through the engine at the same time. Dealer tells me that the oil pump is protected by the filter, so no metal should have made it, and surmises that the oil pump wasn't putting out sufficient pressure, which is why the follower failed.

3 Questions:

1. Does this seem plausible? I've seen others on this thread with a similar occurrence get their engine replaced under the cam follower warranty.

2. Does anyone have a balance shaft assembly for sale or know where to get one for less than $1600?

3. Of those of you who've done the 1.8T oil pump replacement...does the balance shaft deletion make the engine vibrate significantly worse? How much did the install job cost?

I have baby #3 on the way, so spending almost $1900 on a high mileage 2 door does not seem prudent, but I really love this car and do not want to replace it unless I need to.

Thank you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I payed $1900 for the 1.8T conversion AND a complete timing belt job. But in all honesty I feel absolutely no difference between the two at all. The only negative I heard was when/if you upgrade your mounts it feels like a 1.8T with upgraded mounts so all depends.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Always remember that the service advisor's job is to get you to spend more money. I'd take the car after the initial repairs, before the oil pump, do some more research, and see if it's something you feel comfortable diy'ing. *edit* And even if you don't wanna DIY, take it to a German car shop where their labor rates are usually WAY cheaper and they're usually more knowledgeable.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I had the oil oump chain snap on me. I just went to vw got an oem motor. I had it running 4 days later. Or you can go to eurospecsport.com and get a fully built motor with the 1.8t oil pump conversion alreay done.

sent from my phone bytchs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts