Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Background info that may not be necessary] So about a month ago I took my 2002 1.8t gti to my local dealership to get my free coilpack and sunroof drain change. They changed my sunroof drain thing, but said my valve cover gasket was leaking and they wanted to repair that before they changed my coils; because if they were to change the coils without fixing the leak, the leak would just drown the new coils in oil, etc. They said it was "urgent" but being a dealership I thought they were just trying to get my money, so I told them to not do anything and just give me a parts list of what I needed. [/end background info]

Two weeks go by and I check my dipstick. Dry. Not even on the dipstick. I put a quart of Mobil 1 5w30 in, and i almost hit required amount of oil. It's been a little over a week since then, and i checked my dipstick once more. Dry as it was before. Being low on cash and following the "better some than none" rule, I put about 1/3 a quart of 10w50 and my oil somehow managed to reach a decent level on the dipstick.

I'm wondering if a valve cover gasket can really leak that much, or if there's also another leak that the dealership might have missed? I parked my car on a curb today and laid on my skateboard to check under the car for oil. Oil was almost everywhere, but mainly from the oil filter. Could that be another leak or could that just be runoff from the valve cover gasket?

If you haven't noticed by my thread-count, I don't have much experience with cars, and the search tool on MFG doesn't seem to be helping me. Help pleaseee?

Btw, I already have my Valve Cover Gasket, Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket, and Camshaft Seal ordered from ECS. I'm waiting for them in the mail.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
You should have been checking your oil more than that, and never letting it get as low as you did. Very bad juju. And I hope all the different oils your mixing and matching are atleast the same blend...synthetic. You can't just change weights and viscosity that much and mix them together. And your gasket leak could be running down your filter, but to find out you gotta wipe everything down after you change gaskets. You should also change your oil and filter after all this nonsense with different oil. God I feel bad for your dub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
A valve cover gasket shouldn't leak that much unless you're head is blown. Check all of your PCV fittings and make sure your not leaking oil from there. The filter may not be sealed correctly either. OR your dipstick tube could be cracked or broken spraying oil all over. Once you replace your seals, make sure the entire exterior of the engine is degreased and clean then run it for a full day and check for runs. You'll be able to pin point the issue if it isn't your gasket. The Camshaft Seal tends to leak a fair amount after around 90K miles.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright sounds good. and yes, i am doing a full oil change after i replace my valve cover, camshaft, etc. i understand the mixed oil is bad, at least it was still synthetic. but i need to wait anywhere from 2-10 days to change seals and valve cover because ECS isn't being nice with shipping atm...sigh.
it sucks feeling like every time you drive your car, you're hurting it :(

i'm guessing i should just keep pouring oil [mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic] every day or so...i'm definitely gonna seafoam after all this mess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts