Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm just gonna start by saying that I'm a musician and know nothing about cars. My 07 GTI has a pretty bad oil on the left side of the car. It seems to have spread everywhere pretty bad and I can smell the oil inside the car when I drive. It seems to me, after reading forums, that it could be the PCV. Before I get it in the shop I would like to have the engine cleaned so that the work can be done faster and more efficient. I heard that I should get the engine steam cleaned but I want to make sure that it is a good idea and if so what to expect from something like that. Any advice will help as I am a broke ass musician living in LA. :) However, in exchange for your help please let me know if you have any questions about guitar or audio recording. I'd love to help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Siiiiiigh ..... Moved the thread .... these are NOT DIY threads , this is a help me thread post stuff in the correct part of the forum. DIY threads are write ups telling u how to do stuff yourself .... AKA DIY (Do It Yourself)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
If its leaking THAT bad, it could be the valve cover gasket. Google search a DIY for that, to see if you can manage that and save money on a mechanic.

and as far as cleaning, I buy the orange can of degreaser from auto zone and take the gti to a car wash with a pressure washer, spray the degreaser, wait a little, then power wash the engine.

I try to do this in the mornings, because the car wash is fairly close to home and the engine won't be that hot

1 - 3 of 3 Posts