Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Heylo people.

I just called the dealership because I'm at about 2,700 miles on my new 13' GTI and thought I would need an oil change at 3,000. They informed me that they use fully synthetic and that I won't be needing an oil change until 10,000 miles... Now, from what I've gathered, most do their fully synthetic changes at about 7,500 but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm quite worried about the new engine particulates that come with the first oil change and letting them slosh around in there for another 7,000 miles. What do you guys think?

Should I be worried about the particulates that come from a new engine?

I may just do an oil change on my own to both satisfy my worries and get to know the car a little better. I used to use Royal Purple in my Lancer Ralliart but I've seen a lot of people talk about the Molbil1 Fully Synthetic.

What is everyones favorite fully synthetic oil?
What is everyones favorite filter?

Thanks,
Cullin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Oil Change Question

It's your engine, change the oil if it makes you feel comfortable. I'm running mobil1 0-40 in my TSI and plan to change every 7k. I wanted the mobil1 filter, but they didn't have any so I ended up with the STP one. I will plan a little better for my next change and have everything I want. lol

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The oil is good for at least 10k, but the filter is not. I waited until 10k for my first change, but I got to 10k in about two months. After that I've done every 5k using Castrol and OEM filters.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

I had the dealership do the first one at 5k and paid out of pocket. Continued @ 5k intervals paying for every other one. Well, one of those was free because a tech thought my engine cover was a stack of pancakes and poured engine syrup all over the damn thing. They use Castrol and OEM (duh) filters as well. I'll be doing the same myself here on out. Which reminds me I gotta get some o/c goodies...

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts

I used the oem spec Castrol 5w-40 syntec, use oem cartridges.

Best thing to do, which I wish I did when I got it new, is by a magnetic oil drain plug. This will collect metallics and give you an idea if you're change frequencies are right.

I change my oil every 8000km, which is 5000 mi. I'd do 3000mi for first change and 5000mi onwards, or if you don't want to use the VW service frequency (MK6 longer?), you can go to 10k mi using a good synthetic.

I don't see any advantage to running 0w-40 unless during winter months, but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I used the oem spec Castrol 5w-40 syntec, use oem cartridges.

Best thing to do, which I wish I did when I got it new, is by a magnetic oil drain plug. This will collect metallics and give you an idea if you're change frequencies are right.

I change my oil every 8000km, which is 5000 mi. I'd do 3000mi for first change and 5000mi onwards, or if you don't want to use the VW service frequency (MK6 longer?), you can go to 10k mi using a good synthetic.

I don't see any advantage to running 0w-40 unless during winter months, but to each their own.
Where can I find a magnetic drain plug? I think I'm going to do the oil change here at 3K just this first time and do the intuit tent changes every 5K in between dealer changes. So the OEM oil and filter are Castrol and what? Exact info please. Would anything be wrong with using something else?

·
Registered
56 Posts

I never go past 1000 miles on a new engine, even with modern synthetics. I usually try for 800 miles, and change the filter, of course. Then 7500 is OK, but not free. The magnetic plug only pulls ferrous metal, leaving all alloys.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I never go past 1000 miles on a new engine, even with modern synthetics. I usually try for 800 miles, and change the filter, of course. Then 7500 is OK, but not free. The magnetic plug only pulls ferrous metal, leaving all alloys.
Welp, I'm way past that...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Today is the only time that I will have free time for a while. So if I were to go to Autozone or O'Reilly today, what should I purchase since they won't have OEM filters? I'm pretty sure O'Reilly has K&N.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Today is the only time that I will have free time for a while. So if I were to go to Autozone or O'Reilly today, what should I purchase since they won't have OEM filters? I'm pretty sure O'Reilly has K&N.
Why don't you just wait until you have time to do it right?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Because that'll be about a month with midterms and work. :/
I don't think you should worry yourself about it. You'll be fine at 5k, you'll be fine at 10k. VW, who warranties your engine says you'll be fine until 10k. You can get the magnetic plugs, washers and OEM filters from ECS. You should also replace the washer every time you change the filter.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I don't think you should worry yourself about it. You'll be fine at 5k, you'll be fine at 10k. VW, who warranties your engine says you'll be fine until 10k. You can get the magnetic plugs, washers and OEM filters from ECS. You should also replace the washer every time you change the filter.
Yeah, you're right. Thanks love. I think I just want to do something to my car so badly I'm trying to find excuses lol. So what's next?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Yeah, you're right. Thanks love. I think I just want to do something to my car so badly I'm trying to find excuses lol. So what's next?
I get it, but you don't want to install a chincy filter that will end up leaking and cause more harm than good. Go get a can of plastidip and paint something! Lol

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I get it, but you don't want to install a chincy filter that will end up leaking and cause more harm than good. Go get a can of plastidip and paint something! Lol
Definitely don't want that to happen. I'm not quite sure what I can paint anymore, I've decided to just keep the look stock. I know I'm going to tint, but other than that... I just know I'm not going to be strong enough to resist the mod-bug for 30,000 miles. lol Here we go... Do you have a build thread?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Definitely don't want that to happen. I'm not quite sure what I can paint anymore, I've decided to just keep the look stock. I know I'm going to tint, but other than that... I just know I'm not going to be strong enough to resist the mod-bug for 30,000 miles. lol Here we go... Do you have a build thread?
Start out with switching all of your interior bulbs to LED.

Here's my build:

http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/showthread.php?t=12888

·
Registered
56 Posts

Did it just get weird, or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 70 Posts