Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to do 18x9 et40 on the rears, figured 18x8 et40
on fronts shouldn't be an issue. anyone run this offset of et40?

can deal with sum rubbing but don't want to chew through
the fenders, ive seen peoples run et35 but i've also seen sum F'ed up
fenders... jus found a set of wheels that i like n can live with that are
staggered.

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
On an MKV... no issues at all.

Your good from et35-et45.... the 18x8 will fit fine at et40

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on.. so what about the 9x18 et40? didnt think the 8x18 et40 would b an issue.
really dont think the rear will be either, should squeek by i think?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
right on.. so what about the 9x18 et40? didnt think the 8x18 et40 would b an issue.
really dont think the rear will be either, should squeek by i think?
if you do poke just run stretched tires to keep tread under the fender. and camber plates

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how stretched we talkin.. sounds like it should work 9x18 et40.
jus didnt want any issues with major rubbing.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
how stretched we talkin.. sounds like it should work 9x18 et40.
jus didnt want any issues with major rubbing.
ive seen people run 195 on a 9 inch rim and 205 on a 10 inch rim... thats pretty stretched seeing my 7 1/2 inch rim had a 225 on it :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right on, i did that on my mk2 running 8x15 on sum bbs rm. jus the mkv gti
is a new deal to me...high offset, been ol'skooln for a hot minute! lookn for a summer
setUp if it rubs a lil i can live with it...not the first or the last.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
right on, i did that on my mk2 running 8x15 on sum bbs rm. jus the mkv gti
is a new deal to me...high offset, been ol'skooln for a hot minute! lookn for a summer
setUp if it rubs a lil i can live with it...not the first or the last.
you aint dubbin if you ant rubbin

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
You wont have any fitment issues with that offset.... Should be pretty flush at et40 in th rear and no issues up front. You could run a 225/40/18 tire on each.

I ran a non staggered set up at et42 on 18x8.5 with a 225/40/18 tire all last year... Sadly enough, I think I rubbed once on a hard turn.

How low you looking to go with the wheels?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea thats what a friend of mine was running but 19x8.5 et42 and he rubbed a lil bit. ill have to see
what i actually get for wheels? i have a set of 19.8.5 et45 moda md1 silver. letting those go to
my bro. i have 5 BNIB wheels letting them go for $500.00 i know they'll fit, jus want 18's.

on another note,, i wanted to keep my 17's for winter but prob. not gonna happen after a bigger
brake upgrade!

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
if you are running bigger brakes with the stock 17s you just need to get a 15mm spacer to clear. i am running the brembos 328x28 in the front with my stock 17s with 15mm spacers and have no problems. the only problem i am having is finding a rim that i like that will fit with out using a spacer and not rubbing on the fender sence i am out so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right on.. friend told me that i might have to shave some of the caliber down to squeeze it in to fit on a 17.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
no just get the spacers. if you shave the caliber, i do not thing that it will work right. now just make sure that you get the right spaces. what are your stock 17s ET? mine are ET54

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hhhmm, have to check et? car is bone stock until spring. looking forward to coils n chip,
might jus do brake upgrades until im ready to do big brake kit for now. feeln that AP kit.

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
Sounds like you've got a fair amount of stuff to do.... Big Brakes, Coils, ECU.... MMmm :)

A buddy of mine shaved his calibers on his S4. No issues.....

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
right on.. friend told me that i might have to shave some of the caliber down to squeeze it in to fit on a 17.
FAIL
no just get the spacers. if you shave the caliber, i do not thing that it will work right. now just make sure that you get the right spaces. what are your stock 17s ET? mine are ET54
FAIL
Sounds like you've got a fair amount of stuff to do.... Big Brakes, Coils, ECU.... MMmm :)
A buddy of mine shaved his calibers on his S4. No issues.....
FAIL

................. COME ON Guys Ur Killing Me .......

cal·i·ber (k
l
-b
r)
n. 1. Abbr. cal. a. The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.
b. The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches.

2. Degree of worth; quality
3. A Dodge Product

The Word Ur Looking For Is Brake Caliper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_caliper#Calipers

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
if you are running bigger brakes with the stock 17s you just need to get a 15mm spacer to clear. i am running the brembos 328x28 in the front with my stock 17s with 15mm spacers and have no problems. the only problem i am having is finding a rim that i like that will fit with out using a spacer and not rubbing on the fender sence i am out so far.
OEM+ Time ..... 18" R32 Omanytes Or 18" FH Charlestons Should Give U The Clearance U Need , Unless The Problem Ur Having Is The Caliper Hitting The Inside Of The Face Of The Wheel In That Case I Say Get SOme Sawblades Or Something U Need Adapters For Since That Will Double As A Spacer And Ive Had Both BBS RS's And Sawblades And Was Low And Had PLENTY Of Room To Drop Moar B4 I Hit The Fenders

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
right on, should of worn my helmet more when skateboarding. u know i didnt
weAr my helmet snowboarding this weekend either....shiza!

OEM+ works.. yea have coils already, the ECU is no biggie, brakes either way there getting upgraded(stok blOwz)
winter cant be over fast enough. sucks i had to do the timing belt n maint. new susp. on the 04 JettaTDI. looking forward to spring. want to push this MKV and dive into some turns...

NGP is the tuner i deal with for the last decade... those dudes have always taken care of me.
dubbin since 1990...

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
I like how we spell calipers C... Engrish is my second language :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts