Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the 4x4 suspension lift kit on my 2006 gti is bugging me, and I'd love to drop my fast about an inch all around. I've heard that the earlier model gti's (06-07) have taller springs then the later years (08-09)? Is this true? Would I be able to buy a set of 2008 oem springs from the dealer or some other source and put them on my fast? Would I need any other modifications? How much of a drop, if any, would these provide? How would this work compared to the euro spec. springs?

Any information would be helpful!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you suggest? I'd love to drop it about an inch. I know that the oem an euro ones would keep the great ride quality. And my warrantee is up :( what would get me nice results? I don't want anything crazy, nothing super noticeable

·
is Afraid of the Dyno
3,504 Posts
Difference is an inch. from 06/07- 08/09

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so what's the price difference between the oems an the aftermarket ones you suggested? Will those work with the stock shocks? How easy is the uninstall/install? I'd probably be swapping out springs twice a year so I can get a little clearence in winter haha

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I love when people attempt to help themselves.....

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Okay, so what's the price difference between the oems an the aftermarket ones you suggested? Will those work with the stock shocks? How easy is the uninstall/install? I'd probably be swapping out springs twice a year so I can get a little clearence in winter haha
im not going to state the price difference simple b.c i do not know off the top of my head and also the fact you can call around and get answers just as easily as i can.
they will work with stock shocks. how mechanically inclined are you? do you access to tools and area to work?
finally, i havent heard of ppl switching out springs to get more clearance for winter simply b.c most springs still off plenty of room for winter driving......though winter mode for me is riding lower than spring just to annoy the guys who have to raise their car :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha at times wev had to plow through 15 inches of snow to get to the tracks 20 feet from the end of our driveway. It gets really bad here. I wouldn't be afraid to change over the springs myself, I have access to a hoist, which is really handy. I called my vw dealer today and the guy needed a serial number before he could give me a quote on some oem 2009 springs. In winter I inda need all the clearance I can get, and roads are pretty much non existent, so getting stuck is very probable. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Raising the car 1" isnt going to make a difference in 15" of snow

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know, but I want to be able to drive my car most of the time during winter. I don't want it to just have to sit on the driveway the whole time.

·
is Afraid of the Dyno
3,504 Posts
Sounds like where you are, an R32 woulda been a better fit for you...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Haha at times wev had to plow through 15 inches of snow to get to the tracks 20 feet from the end of our driveway. It gets really bad here. I wouldn't be afraid to change over the springs myself, I have access to a hoist, which is really handy. I called my vw dealer today and the guy needed a serial number before he could give me a quote on some oem 2009 springs. In winter I inda need all the clearance I can get, and roads are pretty much non existent, so getting stuck is very probable. Thanks for the input.
1" isnt gonna matter either way. Not enough low to make it worth time to change. Pointless if you ask me. But if you do get springs get aftermarket...H&R, Eibach and such.

·
Registered
385 Posts
STOCK springs & shocks - 2006 US GTI vs 2009 US GTI

I would not waste the time or money switching between different stock model years.

I had to replace a damaged shock, so my motivations were a bit different.

You can find used very low mileage oe shocks and springs at very low cost
in the various forum classifieds.
Many people remove and replace them for more serious lowering.
It is a buyers market for original equipment.

I was in a bit of a rush (car disabled),
so I paid $200 USD + shipping for a full set of 2009 US GTI springs and shocks.
(I post under the name JetTurbo on the forum where I purchased the shocks)

Documented ride height before and after.

For the sake of consistency, I used a
CST/Berger 06-808C Aluminum 8-Foot Telescoping Rod marked in Feet, Inches, and Quarter inch
to measure fender height at the centerline of the wheel.

Note: all measurements were made long after springs had settled.
2006 original springs/shocks measured at 70k miles,
2009 replacement springs/shocks measured after 15k+ miles.

2006 US stock GTI suspension: front 24-1/4" - rear 24-1/2"
2009 stock GTI suspension: front 24-1/4" -- rear 24".
reversed the rake! front stayed the same and the rear dropped a 1/2".
go figure - :eek:

2006 US stock GTI suspension - front 24-1/4"<click pic for close up>

2006 US stock GTI suspension - rear 24-1/2" <click pic for close up>

2009 US GTI stock suspension - front 24-1/4"<click pic for close up>

2009 US GTI stock suspension - rear 24" (23-7/8"?) <click pic for close up>

As best I can tell, there is no perceivable difference in ride quality between the two variants.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i had the same problem when i called about parts. i ended up just going to the parts guy and asking him directly at VW. never ever had to give VIN or any information except VISA or cash.
Any measurements on the drop? Did you get better results then dataton? After a couple hours of reasearch it I think the eibach pro kit would be my best bet. Anyone with an 08/09 get these and have a significant drop? Or is it 1/5 of an inch lower then the 08/09 models?
Dataton, could you have gotten a freak taller set? There's just a lot of information out there saying that the later models springs are one inch shorter...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts