Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first GTI in April of last year, it got totaled in May when I was hit by a drunk driver. In July I got a new one.... same car color, except it had the exterior upgrade instead if the interior one.

Beginning in May of this year, I've had nothing but trouble... the battery died... so I got it replaced, a month and a half later.. it happened again... I thought it was odd - but the dealership replaced the battery again.
About a month after that, it happened AGAIN. So they replaced the alternator and the battery.

I took it in about a month and a half ago to get my 20k mi work up (yeah I drive her a lot....) and Sunday night after it sitting there for about 2 days, the power was on when I turned the key half way but when I went for the kick over, it clicked really fast and the lights were flashing and then browning out.

Now, since I started having trouble... I noticed that the engine hesitates when I start it up some times it takes two key turns before she kicks over.... it should taken more than 1 or 2 seconds to kick over a start up so what the hell?

The dealership swears the car does not do this when they have it, but I told them it's after a cold start. When the car has been sitting for more than a few hours.

No matter what they do, the car still hesitates .. up and now it isn't kicking over at all, just making that clicking noise.

What should I tell these jerks because I'm really losing my patience.

Someone said something about a relay and letting the car cool down, but it's been sitting before I even start it so I have no clue.

It's not even a year and a half old.... :( and even then the problems started when the car was 10 months old.

Help? Info?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get it diagnosed by another mechanic. Take that info to VW. That's what I'd do.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your first one. Good thing you made it out alive.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I had my first GTI in April of last year, it got totaled in May when I was hit by a drunk driver. In July I got a new one.... same car color, except it had the exterior upgrade instead if the interior one.

Beginning in May of this year, I've had nothing but trouble... the battery died... so I got it replaced, a month and a half later.. it happened again... I thought it was odd - but the dealership replaced the battery again.
About a month after that, it happened AGAIN. So they replaced the alternator and the battery.

I took it in about a month and a half ago to get my 20k mi work up (yeah I drive her a lot....) and Sunday night after it sitting there for about 2 days, the power was on when I turned the key half way but when I went for the kick over, it clicked really fast and the lights were flashing and then browning out.

Now, since I started having trouble... I noticed that the engine hesitates when I start it up some times it takes two key turns before she kicks over.... it should taken more than 1 or 2 seconds to kick over a start up so what the hell?

The dealership swears the car does not do this when they have it, but I told them it's after a cold start. When the car has been sitting for more than a few hours.

No matter what they do, the car still hesitates .. up and now it isn't kicking over at all, just making that clicking noise.

What should I tell these jerks because I'm really losing my patience.

Someone said something about a relay and letting the car cool down, but it's been sitting before I even start it so I have no clue.

It's not even a year and a half old.... :( and even then the problems started when the car was 10 months old.

Help? Info?
Check your states lemon laws and contact VW HQ and explain to them your frustration...

BTW: How did the first car (and you) hold up in the crash?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
You Lack discipline!!!!!!
Please keep your comments to a more constructive level.

If you don't have anything educated to say, please don't say anything.

And if you are going to voice your opinion, please give us a reason.. We like to keep it somewhat peaceful... but of course some debates are fun too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If there's another VW dealer in your area they might be more helpful in hopes of earning all your future service business. And definitely contact VW of America either by phone, e-mail, or both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I had a little reminder that I was registered at this forum.

I actually remembered my password.

Anyway... turns out, I had bad starter coils... of all things... vw had my car for a month
I ended up getting a free car payment out of it...

it still hesitates when I start it... it also has a slight rattle and makes an occasional paced, dull, clanking noise... all btw... sounds like they come from the front passenger side.

I'm going in for an oil change this weekend... any idea of what I should bring up about this?

BTW - I'm holding out with this car until the 09 diesel hybrid comes out.... hopefully it will be an early release and I can get out of this car.

I love it, but just too many problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.