Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I'm a Mk5 driver now too. Just got mine today, in black magic and I am in love with it!

I have a couple noob/paranoid questions... I know this kind of defeats the purpose of owning a gti, but does anyone know ideal shift points to use for economic driving? I've tried reading the manual on this subject but the only thing it tells me is where the gears are and how to shift into reverse.

I'm worried that I may not be shifting in time or that I might be shifting too much, I usually try to keep it at 2000 RPMs.

Also, when I shift from first to second, it's a bit jerky, is that me?

Today I also decided to take it through the canyon with the windows down, and I could hear my gearbox making faint 'clank' noises everytime I shift. Am I screwing this car up?

And one last thing. I've noticed that the startup is a bit... Unrefined/messy? Sorta sounds like a diesel upon startup.

Forgive me for being ignorant... Thanks for your help guys! :)

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
You're pretty much right there with the rest of us, when we first got our GTI's. To answer your questions: Economic gas saving shifts typically occur before 3500 and cruising should be done in the highest gear appropriate. The 1st to 2nd shift actually has an entire thread dedicated to it on this forum, but most people just learn their car has it's own bit of finesse. You could invest in a torque arm insert, sure helped my car to settle down while shifting. The clank when shifting may require a dealer mech to ride along, so he can hear it. The infamous harsh / cold start is something you simply need to get used to.. it will never go away. Make sure you are running as high an octane you can afford... 91 and up of course is recommended... Welcome noob.. we were all there once.. :) Enjoy your GTI and the forums.

·
Registered
888 Posts
mine makes that noise too at startup i kinda hate it. theres prob no way around it. also with economy shifting dont use all that nice torque...dah

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
When you shift in higher revs, the shifting/muffler sounds soooo nice....I just love that sound

You should try it in a tunnel or a road with walls on two sides...it's a symphony!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, thanks for the help guys. I kinda thought that the clank noise was cool, but didn't know if it was supposed to be that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts