Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo im coming from the Honda scene, im totally TIRED of being NA, soooo ive come here for some guidance, ive found a 01 GTI 1.8t with 152k for 3500, is this a good deal? i honestly dont know the reliablilty/ resale values of GTI's or VW's for that matter sooo yeaa thanks inadvanced, i hope to get my GTI asap!

·
Registered
556 Posts
First off, check autotrader.com or another used car website and check similar year, model, mileage and that will indicate where you should be looking for price vs your criteria. Secondly check the maintenance records, with 152k, you want to check that it was maintained throughout its life. I can say, I own a 2005 mkiv and love her. Good luck

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
with a mk4 with that many miles if you dont know everything about it, your gonna run into problems. check maintenance and repairs that have been done, also check carfax.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welll there is also a swapped MKIV for about the same with 180k on the body and 90k on the engine, BUT the driver side rear quarter panel was scrapped on a wall or something

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
There are WAY better cars out there, with less than 90k miles on them...

·
Registered
556 Posts
btw what specific problems should i look for in an MKIV? ei transmission grinds? leaks?
You want to look for regular maintenance done with the car. If someone cared enough to keep it maintained that helps you not run into problems because some driver has beaten up the car for 100k miles without any maintenance. Oil changes, timing belt done every 60-70k miles, check the tires and brakes and see how long ago they were switched out. All these things can help you buy a great car that you dont have to then go buy tires and brakes for a week later, and spend another 1k dollars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm glad you finally got some sense about your cars. You should be a very patient buyer, as my car took me almost a year to find. And I don't regret it. It all depends on your price range, the more money you spend the less miles your car will have and therefore less problems (most of the time).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts