Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined the club by buying a used 2011 GTI. After a few days with the car, and after reading the manual, I've run into a really strange problem: it appears that the car has no way of accessing the menus on the MFI! Page 24 of the manual suggests two ways: either the multi-function steering wheel (if equipped) or the windshield wiper binnacle (otherwise). As the picture below shows, I have neither!

Is there another way to access the menu? Is it possible that the car was inadvertently shipped without any way of changing the MFI settings? Is there a way of finding out if the car was shipped with the multi-function wheel and swapped later? And has anyone else run into this strange problem?

IMG_20180201_181322358.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is this a US market car?

Unlikely a US GTi was shipped without the controls.

A GTi badge can be easily added to any car - r u sure it is really a GTi?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The MKVI GTI base model came with a non-multi function steering wheel. If your wiper stalk has no controls, I’d guess someone swapped the wheel at some point. Getting a multi-function wheel shouldn’t be too difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MKVI GTI base model came with a non-multi function steering wheel. If your wiper stalk has no controls, I'd guess someone swapped the wheel at some point. Getting a multi-function wheel shouldn't be too difficult.
Agree this seems like the likeliest scenario. Is there any way to find out how the car was originally equipped - to get a reprint of the window sticker, or something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a US market car?

Unlikely a US GTi was shipped without the controls.

A GTi badge can be easily added to any car - r u sure it is really a GTi?
Yes, US market, and yes, definitely a GTI. All VIN tags, the engine, etc., confirm that. Give me a little credit ;-)

Per above, sounds like the steering wheel may have been swapped before I got to it. Any giveaways that the car would have shipped with the multifunction wheel, other than the lack of controls on the wiper?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Agree this seems like the likeliest scenario. Is there any way to find out how the car was originally equipped - to get a reprint of the window sticker, or something?
Best way is probably to see what other options it has like navigation, halogens/bi-xenon, Leather, kessy, etc., assuming some of that wasn't swapped out as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best way is probably to see what other options it has like navigation, halogens/bi-xenon, Leather, kessy, etc., assuming some of that wasn't swapped out as well.
Thanks. It has nav, moonroof, and xenons, which I guess came as one of the option packages on the 2011? No leather, no KESSY. Backup camera is aftermarket (above the license plate rather than in the badge).

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I still think it originally came with the multifunction wheel. I guess at this point you need to decide if you want to replace the steering wheel or the stalk. You have to replace both the turn signal and wiper stalks, but it’s still much cheaper than a wheel, new. You could probably find a reasonably priced used one though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still think it originally came with the multifunction wheel. I guess at this point you need to decide if you want to replace the steering wheel or the stalk. You have to replace both the turn signal and wiper stalks, but it's still much cheaper than a wheel, new. You could probably find a reasonably priced used one though.
Sounds about right. I've requested the original manifest from VW, so I'll confirm how it was shipped soon. If, by some chance, it didn't ship with the multi-function wheel, is it still possible to fit one, or would I need to add some sort of wiring harness?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success! I was able to install the new steering wheel controls, as the controller itself was already in place behind the airbag.

Anyone want to buy a used steering wheel cover trim? It's in great shape, as I have a feeling it was installed right before I bought the car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts