Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

no dyno reading?

Tags
mkiv smog vr6
3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DkasVR6 
#1 ·
so i have a 2000 gti vr6 and i recently went to get a smogged [suicide] the dude at the smog place told me that the dyno could not get a reading because my rpm's were dropping to fast when he shifted??? i tried to get more out of him but he had nothing for me...what could be causing this? also my o2 censors are bad and possibly my cat would that have anything to do with it?

#3 ·
By dyno I think he meant the rollers...

My smog guy had trouble with my car because it was too sensitive for him. It was up on the rollers so that he could get a 2800rpm reading and of course my turbo was boosting so he would let off the gas, boost is lost and rpms drop but then he would get back on the gas right after and he did the same thing. He actually told me he didn't think he could get my car done because of it being so touchy. He got the hang of it the second time and got the smog done

#5 ·
Ahh stupid cali, here if it's obd2 we don't even get on the rollers, just plug in the scanner and test the gas cap for leaks.
Yes, in California we get all that, obd2 to scan for codes, put up on the rollers to get up to 2800rpm, sniffer stuck in the tail pipe and probably a visual check as well. Only thing missing is to bend over and they get out the rubber glove...

#6 ·
Yes, in California we get all that, obd2 to scan for codes, put up on the rollers to get up to 2800rpm, sniffer stuck in the tail pipe and probably a visual check as well. Only thing missing is to bend over and they get out the rubber glove...
Hmm...Most of our cars would fail miserably in Cali then...Damn CAFE

#8 ·
My truck would fail for sure, i had to hard reset the codes and drive it just enough to pass without driving it to much it set the CEL off again. 3rd year running it has worked in Ga! Someone asked me if I would live in Cali the other day, I said no. They were like why? it's such a great place. I told them they want to limit what I do to MY car and you can't carry a loaded gun so I'll piss off back to the south.

#9 ·
My truck would fail for sure, i had to hard reset the codes and drive it just enough to pass without driving it to much it set the CEL off again. 3rd year running it has worked in Ga! Someone asked me if I would live in Cali the other day, I said no. They were like why? it's such a great place. I told them they want to limit what I do to MY car and you can't carry a loaded gun so I'll piss off back to the south.
Cali has its nice things about it and it's total BS stuff about it. It's great where I am because I am 90 minutes away from the mountains and snow, and 30 minutes away from the beach.

BS stuff like the retards wanting gun control for the people who have the guns legally, but what are they going to do with the illegal guns? LA police found themselves in a ****ty situation when the bank robbers a while back came walking out of the bank in full body armor and carrying AK47's, and the police had shot guns and hand guns. So we who have the guns legally are allowed to have a certain weapon and the bad guys have more powerful guns than the rest of us.

Other BS stuff like the lawyers running this state, and everyone can sue for anything. Example if I have an accident that is my fault, with someone without a license or insurance, that person can sue the crap out of me. If I get hit by an unlicensed driver with no insurance I get screwed because yes, I can try and sue the person but what can you get out of someone who has nothing? The lawyers here are making Cali almost not livable.

Sorry to go off topic real quick, and I have heard of the auto sniffers that test random cars but I don't know where any of them are, or know of anyone that had it happen to them. I wouldn't be surprised if one day here you have to stop before getting onto the freeway and have your car sniffed.

#10 ·
Can't really carry a loaded gun in NY either and it sucks.

#11 · (Edited)
Can't really carry a loaded gun in NY either and it sucks.
Yep and thats why I only visited there for a few days.

I'm not a gun addict or anything but when you grow up in a place where you carry a gun as a normal thing, then move someplace where you are scared to carry a gun because of the law but your also scared to not carry a gun then that is a crap situation. Trust me, I wanted my gun with me in NY. I used the word "scared" as a point maker in this paragraph not as a literal feeling.

also this is gettting off topic and it is my fault so please continue on the issue posted by the OP.

#12 ·
haha i like where this post is going...well yeah my car wont pass but he said he needed a reading to even hook me up with a "passing" test but he did have some 16 year old kid doing the test. ill go t try another place and see what they say...thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.