Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 09 GTI since February. I have done the normal oil changes through the dealership but refuse to pay the amounts they want for the basics like changing spark plugs and air filters.

About a week ago i went to auto zone and picked up the recommended spark plugs (Brand: autolight xp iridium) and a K&N air filter. The car has been running great all week. Yesterday I was getting on the freeway, stepped on the gas to pass a big rig then it threw an engine fault, the check engine light came on and started blinking also had the EPC light come on and stay on. I of course got off the freeway and pulled over the car way idleing really ruff. I turned it off and back on all lights went off and I limped it home.

Took it down to the dealership for them to run there little machine on and they are clamming it is misfiring caused by starting in the cold. They recommended changing the spark plugs and doing a carb flush.
I told the tech #1 I had been driving it for 1hr before this happened sooo the car was not cold and #2 We just changed the plugs.
He still persisted on his answer...I told him don't touch my car and i will be there monday morning to pick it up.

So now I am in need of help and i will get to my point.

Did i mess my car up with aftermarket plugs and the K&N? Am i not supposed to run the aftermarket stuff in the car?
What can I do to fix this issue?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
The autolite plugs are your issue. I've tried contacted AutoZone to no avail about their horrid suggestions for plugs. Change them to NGK's and the problem should disappear.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Though, there is a recommended gap for the plugs as well. I'm not certain on that number or the exact plugs for the 2.0t.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
.030" is where i kept mine at when i was stock

.018-22" after i chipped it
this... Also, **** autolitr. Ngk-R. Also... Carb flush? Now I'm not claiming that i did ASL the work on my gti (only about 99.9%) but i haveyet to notice that crazy little carb under my hood. Must be hiding with the flux capacitor valve...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
this... Also, **** autolitr. Ngk-R. Also... Carb flush? Now I'm not claiming that i did ASL the work on my gti (only about 99.9%) but i haveyet to notice that crazy little carb under my hood. Must be hiding with the flux capacitor valve...
Yeah...Or, the nerfer valve could be stuck open. Dealers crack me up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well replaced the plugs.... Car still isn't running at 100%. Still sputtering from time to time like it has some motor lag but then picks up and goes. Still have a check engine light on. I know I am definitely a newbie at VW's but I did the normal unhook the battery for a while to reset and it didn't work. Is there another trick i should be doing to get this thing to go off? Also i have read a little about maybe the lag in the motor could still be the coil pack gone bad. Could this be my issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.