Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first vw ever. I've always wanted one. Its a 1999 gti vr6 lowered 2 inches on adjustable coils with halo projector headlights. It has 18x8.5 rays rims. And I just put on my catback magnaflow yesterday. Looooove the car so far but im not sure what I should do next? Whats gonna be the best bang for my buck performance wise? And cosmic wise also?

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you dont have a ECU chip.. i dont really know what your waiting for lol.
especially if you have a aftermarket downpipe, turbo back exhaust and an intake youll get probably close to 40-50hp gain with a stage 2 ECU Flash.

im just as new as you, but guaranteed anyone else on forum would say ECU chip.

also, unless your GTI is the 1999.5 model, you might be posting in the wrong forum.
this 1 is for mk4s years 1999.5-2004.5

cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm not sure which mine is. It is the newer body style so I think I'm in the right place. What would you recommend I get for a down pipe, intake and ecu? What is a good site to order from?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
198 Posts
assuming yours is a mkiv, i looked on apr's website goapr.com
if you are looking at going stage one, there is no required hardware, but recommends 2.5in cat back and an intake.
for stage two it requires a high flow cat. and recommends what it did for stage 1.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you dont have a ECU chip.. i dont really know what your waiting for lol.
especially if you have a aftermarket downpipe, turbo back exhaust and an intake youll get probably close to 40-50hp gain with a stage 2 ECU Flash.
Its a VR6, no turbo... but yes, i recommend a tune, then maybe an intake, you're lucky its already got coilovers, but you might want to take it to a tire shop to get it aligned just to make sure the previous owner did not install them poorly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
oh my mistake, didnt see the part about the VR6, personally id still recommend a ECU chip, as well as an intake/exhaust combo. alot of people say catback only but seeing as im guessing your planning on continuing to mod it, i would get headers back. thatll save you from having to pay the labour of getting the headers and highflow cat installed when you wanna do it later. do it all in one shot and if you dont have the $ for a APR intake or anything theres tons of DIYs of shaving out your stock air box.

for VR6 id recommend these upgrades in the following order.

1. Catback / full exhaust (you really dont need to buy APR theyre the best, but severely pricey, any sort of after market exhaust would do fine. plus if you dont buy APR youd have a lot more $ laying around after to purchase other upgrades.. exhaust is my favourite upgrade.. makes your car sound sexyyyyy. + decent performance gain.)

2. Intake (once again you dont need to get APR, check ebay, all it is is a pipe with a filter on the end no need to drop 300$ on an APR 1 just for the name/carbon fibre)

3. ECU chip. Do this after the other 2 so that when you get it and get your car tuned you can go straight to Stage 2 instead of getting stage 1 then installing exhaust/intake after then going stage 2. saves you money. This upgrade you'll feel a huge difference in the overall performance of your car.

once your done those 3, come back and let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.