My Fast GTi banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the factory continentals on my 18" huffs on Friday with the NItto Extreme 555's. I got a set of 4 of them for $438 installed at discount tire... so I couldn't pass it up.

I'm curious if others have these tires on their fast and if so what do you think? http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.nt555

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Burn. >:D There is a thread on this, and I shouldn't be encouraging you BUT,

I have the Nitto NeoGens.. heard the 555's are a 1/2 step from R compound.. how much mileage are you sacrificing for grip?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunny said:
Yes they do. that is why there are lots of threads disussing the topic already. Use search.
My apologies. ...maybe I'm not searching correctly and please feel free to put me in my place if that is the case, but I did do a search before posting this thread.

-My search for "Nitto 555" yielded a grand total of 4 results, 2 of which were mine! Nothing I was looking for.

-My search for "NT555" yielded a grand total of 3 results, again 2 of which were mine. Again, not the info on people's experiences with these tires that I as hoping for.

-My search for "Nitto" yielded about 20 results, BUT they were almost all regarding the Neogens, not the 555's, which doesn't do me a whole lot of good, since I"m interested in GTI owners experiences with the 555's.

If in fact there are already threads on this topic and I have not searched correctly, then I am certainly willing accept any and all "DO A SEARCH" criticisms from the forum. However, I did use search and came up almost empty handed.

Bcruzin; thanks for your response. I don't know about the comparison to R compound, but they do seem pretty sticky. I got 44,000 miles out of the Continental 18" summer tires that came on it. I figured for $438 installed...these 555's were worth a try.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
What's the tread rating? My NeoGens wore quick initially, but now seem to be reaching a more constant wear pattern. I haven't heard of anyone else with the 555's. You may want to hit up vwvortex.com for info.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From their website:

Perf. Rating: W
UTQG Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temp: A

Neogens are:
Perf. Rating: W
UTQG Treadwear: 280
Traction: AA
Temp: A

·
Registered
530 Posts
Both of those tires look great for the price. How do they ride & handle? (Yes, I'm asking both of you.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far, I've been impressed. The ride seems quieter and maybe just a tad less rough than the continentals that came on it. I haven't really pushed them yet in the corners, but from what little I have done, they seem to be really sticky. I'm not sure if they are quite as low profile as the continentals. They really do look different, but they are growing on me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was going to go with the INVOs because they look like they have practically the same preformance with a better comfort rating and less noise. Anyone have experience with those?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No experience with the INVO's, but I think they are a bit more expensive. They look good though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts