Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,
I am in need of new tires for my GTI and would love to tap the vast experience of MYFASTGTI!!
The High Performance options I see are as follows (Stock 18 Huffs 07 GTI 225/40 18):

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD $ 218
Bridgestone Potenza RE-OIR $ 195
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z-1 $ 152
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 $ 245

And my favorite for performance and price;
Kumho Ecsta MX $109

I am looking for ultimate "summer" dry weather performance...No cold weather and if they wear out quicker than the stock Conti's ( 14,500 miles ) that’s ok...
I did some searching and did not see any comprehensive threads on this subject..
Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer and feel very free to PM me..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you checked out the Nokian NRYs? Nokian makes some great summer and winter tires. I still have the factory tires and am getting my blizzaks mounted in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pioneer162..I checked them out and they may be more of an "all season" verses pure summer (dry weather) performance. Out here in So Cal we have the luxury of very little rain and big beautiful freeways to play on..
Thanks for the input though, PM me when you get your skins on and let me know how they perform...

Anyone else?????

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Nitto and Falken produce some nice rubber, didn't see them on your list. I am running the NeoGens on a 17" and also bought them strictly for Summer Performance. Wet and dry traction is sticky and confidence inspiring. A buddy runs FK452's and he never stops talking about how well they grip. And he's got a built A4 Quattro. www.discounttiredirect.com shipped mine for free.. not a bad perk. Let us kno what you go with

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Pioneer162..I checked them out and they may be more of an "all season" verses pure summer (dry weather) performance. Out here in So Cal we have the luxury of very little rain and big beautiful freeways to play on..
Thanks for the input though, PM me when you get your skins on and let me know how they perform...

Anyone else?????
All season? Are we looking at the same tires? Nokian makes some pretty sick directional summer tires as well as some of the world's best winter tires from what I'm told. There are tons of other brands that make great tires too, I've always been a fan of yokohoma and pirrelle (sp?).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd also like to hear more opinions on usage in the 18" size on huffs regarding how quiet they are... also, i'm in Socal and more interested in a Summer tire than anything else... I just want it quiet, sticky and cheap!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'd definately stick with the POTENZA's!!!!!! BS Potenza's are SUPER STICKY...I used them on my G35 and they're awesome tires...they'll make a pretty big difference in traction for you. just my 2c.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All season? Are we looking at the same tires? Nokian makes some pretty sick directional summer tires as well as some of the world's best winter tires from what I'm told. There are tons of other brands that make great tires too, I've always been a fan of yokohoma and pirrelle (sp?).
"The Nokian NRY delivers outstanding grip and performance in both warm and cold weather

This was from their website on the NRY onle. My only comment was regarding warm and cold weather tires while I am looking for warm only. I am sure sure they are good tires.

Thanks all for your comments, I am in need of tires very soon so I will post my selection after I have ran them hard and have some feedback to give.
I think I am leaning at the Kumho Ecsta's. I run their race version on my 914 and find most all other 914 owners in POC do the same. They stick (when warmed up) like nothing I have ever felt. I mean dive hard at speed into the corners at Willow Springs and could not break them loose under dry conditions.
So for the price of $109 I dont think I could go wrong. Guess I just talked myself into the Kumhos ( found at tirerack by the way )...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nothing but good things on the Bridgestone Potenza...I'm tellin ya, take it or leave it, they're the best in the business.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Banditscout - What model Potenza did you use on your G35? Was it the RE-0IR's?? Can you divulge more about the performance aspects of the tires? Did you take them on the track at all?
Any ideas about fittament to the GTI? Any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Richie, I had the re-030 (I think?). Yes, I did have them on the track, every weekend. They're outstanding tires. Very sticky, even when cold. When they get hot they're even better (as you would expect). The life was VERY good...I had Micehlin Pilot Sports on the car, and replaced them with the Potenza's. The grip is beautiful on all surfaces I'd had them on. Great drag tire, great track tire...but also a great road tire. Performance wise they're outstanding, but if it's comfort and sporting you're looking for, I'd recommend checking out the Falkens. Not too sure of the model, but they market it as a sport tire designed for luxury vehicles, so you should be able to find it on their website. As far as rubbing issues go, I had none. Just make sure you fit the proper size to your wheels...no more than 10 mm's wider than the stock tires, whichever you have...I've found this to be a good rule of thumb...I wouldn't put anything more than a 235mm cross-section on our cars...otherwise you'll be looking into a custom fender flare job. Good luck!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
banditscout,
Great technical information on sizing!! I want to stick the largest possible tire under the fenders without rubbing..
According to Tirerack the RE-030's may not come in a GTI size..I will keep researching the brand though..
Thanks again MYFASTGTI!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thread revival.

Looking at some new rubbers for my car and am leaning toward the Yokohoma Advan Neova AD08. From the reviews I have been reading they are highly liked, have better ratings than bridgestone potenzas for summer tires (only one I paid attention to, but tirerack did comparisons to two other tires and yokohoma was 2nd on most of the tests). I am in Louisiana which gets substantial rain all year, doesnt get too incredibly cold in the winter (20's), and very seldomly gets snow... although bridges do ice in the winter... Just curious if anyone uses them / knows people that use them.

Gratsi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts