Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found out that a piece broke off my front right coil spring... fml... I have to deal with paying my insurance and now new springs at once!!!

oh well, its an excuse to get lowering springs ;)

Preferably I wanna get a kit with both the shocks and springs. I've been browsing through ecs's website to look at what they have. Any other sites you guys recommend? Any specific sets or just springs you guys recommend? I got the OEM shocks right now, so I think its better to swap with better shocks if i'm going to lower it right?

It would be awesome to find a kit that comes with adjustable shocks.

I'm not really looking for better stance/looks... I'm going more for performance. So I want something that will help my car stick to the ground.

Coil overs would be nice, but too expensive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and of course the less I could spend, the better. But I'm not gonna cheap out and get some ****ty springs.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, is there anything else I have to change if I lower the car?

i've been reading this article...
http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/160_0612_et_2003_volkswagen_gti_mk4_18t/viewall.html

all i get from it is that lowering the car will upset the suspension's geometry. Should I bother the change anything else other than the springs & shocks?

Remember I'm all about performance, not just looks. But i'm also on a budget.

What did all you guys who lowered your mk4's do?

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think you need this along with the coilovers or what ever you choose to put on... but im not 100% im sure some one here can clarify much better.. (at least its a direction to do some research )

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/ultimate-suspension-install-kit-mk4-p-1180.html
It would be good to have something like this when installing coilovers or springs, I know ecs has a couple different kits like this.
I have raceland ultimos and I love them, although I'm 17 so I don't really care about the ride quality that some people say sucks! If you're on a budget then racelands would be good but if you have the money deffinetly get something of better quality.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i think you need this along with the coilovers or what ever you choose to put on... but im not 100% im sure some one here can clarify much better.. (at least its a direction to do some research )

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/ultimate-suspension-install-kit-mk4-p-1180.html
you only need this if you are doing shocks and springs

those bump stops are way too big for coilovers

and coils usually come with bump stops

i always recommend coilovers over a cup kit

i was about to buy some of those Raceland Ultimo coil over but decided on CX Racing coilovers

they are a little more expensive but have adjustable dampening

i always liked the FK streetlines i had before

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post, been creeping here lately but anyways... i just got the raceland ultimos and i love them, im not coilover expert on which its suppose to feel like but i like the way they ride and there stiff. ive been in a mk4 jetta with lowered springs and shocks and it was bouncy there a bouncy castle and these coilovers for the price they are are great. If your doing daily driving around the city and highway, not racing i would say these are a good choice imo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i dont think you have to get coilovers for what you want. Tein makes a great spring and they have a nice set that goes on your stock shocks.. i kno its not ideal but at $175 on ebay and a 1.5" stance drop it paints a nice picture. I know ppl with these springs on other cars and they luv em, havnt hurd anything bad about tein springs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i bought the JOM coilovers for my mkiv vr6 and they are da bomb i haven't had any problems and the install is easy i bought them from ebay for about $350 shipped they are the same ones on BFI's website. you can feel the road a lot more with them and they def reduce body roll also if you are dropping the car get some spacers im running 10mm in the front and 25mm in the back

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed my tein springs n love em so far.. Now I need spacers.. eBay has a few sets right now but a little pricey.. Anyone kno a good website to order spacers?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed my tein springs n love em so far.. Now I need spacers.. eBay has a few sets right now but a little pricey.. Anyone kno a good website to order spacers?
I would say don't buy eBay spacers. If you get spacers over 5mm you will need extended lug bolts. I bought my spacers from ecs and they came with the extended lugs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
K, thanks.. Got a link?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
K, thanks.. Got a link?
Ecstuning.com

I have faith you can do this all by yourself!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
33 Posts
I just installed the Eibach pro-kit plus on my car has sway bars shocks struts and springs and my car is handling awesome, and it doesn't drop the car too far if you can tell from my pic. It's super comfy on the road and bumps but grips like a beast around the corners and I run my dub hard as hell around corners. :) Got it from www.tirerack.com for just under 900 after shipping. More than the coilovers but I'm not compromising ride quality at all and I did get a lot better handling. Hey does anyone know what kind of coilovers Farmer was running in forum wars btw? That rub was crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like that, only thing is its expensive. I'll consider that when it time to replace the shocks as well lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts