Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
A GTI with a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo engine with 200 HP and 207 lbs/ft against a Rabbit with a 2.5L 5 cylinder engine with 150 HP and 170 lbs/ft. I don't think the Rabbit would be able to follow the GTI, let stand smoke it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This are the 0-60 mph acceleration times from those engines in the Jetta

GLI (2.0T): 6.4 seconds
2.5L: 9.1 seconds

I'm pretty sure that those engines mounted in the Rabbit perform almost the same.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I drove the new Rabbit this morning, msrp was around 15730. This little car is hot for the money.One thing they should have given it. - 6sp manual. but I guess it wouldn't have been in the 15's then. Right? I was really impressed with the performance compared to the jetta with this engine. Guess the less weight makes a difference. Add 3k worth of performance ops and you'd have one hot little hatch.

Check out our new sister site: www.rabbitownersclub.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
DrJones said:
Thalo said:
Useless fifth cyclinder...
Not exactly.

The 2.0l 4 banger they replaced with that 2.5l only made 115hp.

There's 35hp in that "useless" 5th cylinder.
We here in Belgium have a 2.0L 4 cylinder, the same engine as in the GTI but without the turbo, that produces 150 HP and that has a slightly better mileage then the 2.0T from the GTI.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The new rabbit 2.5 is crap i saw one at the dealer. It has hubs, 5speed 150hp 170tq. No hid's crapy sterio,spedo shows 160mph, only 19,000. There is alot more crap i didn't saw because i think you's get the point. Def didn't want to test drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If they're gonna charge $19K for base model, I can't imagine choosing that over a GTI. Once you add a couple features to it anyway, like alloy wheels (16s, I assume?), the price ends up being the same.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just saw one today at the dealership when I was picking up my plates. Terrible. I can't believe they would put the price so close to the GTI with so many lackluster features on the car. And with production moving toward pushing the Rabbit, people will just see the features of the GTI and see that VW must have put the budget crap into it. They're cannibalising their own market, turning away people who would otherwise be joining the faithful. Stupid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts