Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my first GTI, consequently my first car and I have a few questions about proceeding with modding it.

1) Before I do a cat-back exhaust, do I need to upgrade my downpipe?
2) Where does it redline/where can I get a chip for it?
3) How can I get it lower without spending too much money while maintaining the safety of it (I'm eighteen so this is a true concern for me)?
4) What other mods can I do that aren't necessarily very expensive?

Thanks for any and all help guys, this is my first ever car and I want to make sure I can make it the best I can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
-You absolutely SHOULD upgrade the downpipe before the catback. The stock one sucks. You don't HAVE to, but you're not going to see any performance from just a catback.

-Stock rev limiter is 6700 I believe, chipped is 6900 (at least for my tune.) If you want to get it chipped, check out APR, Unitronic, GIAC, Revo, Gonzo Tuning, etc. web page, and find a dealer close to you that can perform the tune. Alternatively, you can ship your ECU to whatever company you like best, and they'll chip it and send it back.

-Can't help you with that one, I'm still stock height unfortunately. Any decent set of coilovers will get you low without compromising your safety, if you don't intentionally alter the components to get lower (I.E. cut springs, removing bump stops, etc.)

-Perfoemance wise, you could get an actual cold air intake. Maybe a hundred or so bucks off eBay, more if you go with a reputable company like APR. You could also get polyurethane bushings for your various suspension parts and motor mounts for better handling, but they will make your ride rougher by a noticeable amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
im going thru this right now.....2 weeks after I bought a 2005 GTI 1.8t the flex joint failed [ oem I think] and the resonator was rusty so I ordered a cheap ebay catback and I pulled the down pipe and a friend at a DOH shop had his fab guy weld a new flex joint on, and he didn't "quite" follow my instructions [ flange length/orientation] and its causing the muffler to orient slightly left of center to the bumper cutout[ no matter how I twist up/change the clamps, it just slides left on the SS hook/bar that hangs it from the rubber mount, I know a new straight downpipe will fix it, shoulda woulda coulda been done lol]......im currently looking at a 2.5" SS downpipe with cat [ damn inspection here wont pass without it, plus I daily this one so don't want any cel issues] to just be done with it. cheapest seems to be ebay, but im still trying to decide which one to get

doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts