My Fast GTi banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Came across the site and must admit I love it. I WAS hoping that you might have some info on the latest Polo GTI (has the Golf MkIV 1.8T engine) to read about but as you don't, I'll enjoy checking out all the other GTIs. I believe you don't get the Polo GTI there.

Here are some pics of my ride, a 2006 Polo GTI, available here in Australia. Running standard engine at the moment, but soon to have ecu 'flash' for 215hp. Running optional 17"s and looking to lower it some.

Cheers
ozgti

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would consider that another class of GTI. North America does get the Polo (we like 'em big here in the States), so there wasn't necessarily a requirement for a Polo GTI category, but since you bring it up, I'll talk to Freddie and we'll see what we can come up with.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Wow, I had no idea such a car existed. Thanks for the pics!

Don't know how they'd be able to sell that car in N.A., the GTI is already considered a very small car by most standards. Also, GTI is a model name in N.A., not a trim, so there can't be "Golf GTI", "Polo GTI", etc. It's just a VW GTI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DrJones, but I certainly don't expect the Polo GTI to warrant inclusion on the site. I'll be happy to catch up with some tech articles on the tuning of the 1.8T engine. You guys seem to have done a lot with these engines.

Thalo, I'm glad you've now seen what the 'baby' GTI looks like. They are an impressive little car, beautifully built (in Spain) with fantastic tuning potential which is the main reason I bought it. My previous car was a Renaultsport Clio 182Cup (see pic), 0 - 62mph in 7 seconds, but being normally aspirated, didn't allow for much extra tuning, and its power was very high in the rev range. You had to drive it at 7 tenths and more all the time to really extract the power. An absolutely fantastic handling car though. Second to none.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do you mind posting pictures of the interior and the engine? You've sparked my curiousity. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The following photos are some I got off the net, not my car, although essentially exactly the same.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Whenever I sat in a car when I was in the UK I always felt like the steering wheel was too far to the right. I mean, it didn't feel like a mirror image of our cars but as if it was an extra couple inches closer to the door. That last pic kinda makes me feel like that again. I drove a car through a parking garage a few hundred feet and would have probably side swiped someone on my left if it wasn't in a tiny Ford Fiesta. That whole bulk of the car on your left fucks me up even more than driving on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The 2 little gauges are above the speedo and the RPM, looks like the Audi cluster.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You see, compare the two pictures. In the normal version you can see the left vent, light switch and there's plenty of room between the wheel and the door. On the backwards version the steering wheel is so far right it's almost touching the door.

·
Registered
84 Posts
how to tell Polo GTI from golf GTI????

Okay, I am glad this thread is on here. I´m currently on vacation in Croatia and taking an internet break, and here is my question. In Slovenia and Croatia I've seen tons of VWs, and a few MkV Golfs among them (whose body corresponds to our Rabbit and GTI, right?). Well, I´m walking down a steep hill from my hotel, in the rain, when I see the rear of a beautiful red MkV....and this time, it says GTI! No way to dig out my camera, but I'm gazing into it and at the front to check out the honeycomb grill, etc. One of the tour members sidles up to me and says it's a polo gti, they make two kinds of gtis in Europe and this one is smaller. Well, it looked the right size to me but with all the tiny hatchbacks everywhere I could be wrong. Anyway, coming to the point, I thought it really was a 2 dr GTI MkV, the one that looks like a Golf. These pictures on this thread look similar to the GTIs we have in the US but the taillights are different sp I?m assuming I saw a golf GTI?? What should I look out for if I see another GTI....to tell out of context if it's golf or polo gti. :p

thanx! :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Re: how to tell Polo GTI from golf GTI????

Euridice said:
Okay, I am glad this thread is on here. I´m currently on vacation in Croatia and taking an internet break, and here is my question. In Slovenia and Croatia I've seen tons of VWs, and a few MkV Golfs among them (whose body corresponds to our Rabbit and GTI, right?). Well, I´m walking down a steep hill from my hotel, in the rain, when I see the rear of a beautiful red MkV....and this time, it says GTI! No way to dig out my camera, but I'm gazing into it and at the front to check out the honeycomb grill, etc. One of the tour members sidles up to me and says it's a polo gti, they make two kinds of gtis in Europe and this one is smaller. Well, it looked the right size to me but with all the tiny hatchbacks everywhere I could be wrong. Anyway, coming to the point, I thought it really was a 2 dr GTI MkV, the one that looks like a Golf. These pictures on this thread look similar to the GTIs we have in the US but the taillights are different sp I?m assuming I saw a golf GTI?? What should I look out for if I see another GTI....to tell out of context if it's golf or polo gti. :p

thanx! :)
OK- How to tell the difference:

The Polo GTI has halogen headlights that are shaped different and slats next to the fogs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a nice young girl on our street, always be seen washing & polishing her red 1L Polo, one day she has a brand new candy white polo GTI sitting outside her house - I went straight round and introduced myself (and bought her old polo!) We're gonna take some pics of our cars - black 07 Golf GTI and her white 07 Polo GTI, just waiting for some nice weather, I'll post them as soon as possible. 1st time I saw her car I honestly thought it was a Golf, got in a flap cause I thought they had redesigned the headlights!!!

CT

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanx guys! I will research this for myself properly when i get home but this really helps in the meantime....that was a golf gti I saw, the headlights didnt look different, and the taillights were totally the same as mine. yay now I can tell this guy with more certainty. ;)

So....thats how you got the polo, G864TST! I cant wait to see the pix of both kinds of gtis together. :D

thanx again! And especially for posting the additional pics, Dragon. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts