Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my specs to start with:

Year: 2008.5
Engine: 2.0TSI (CBFA)
Mods: None
Miles: 80K

Ok so there's what I'm working with. Now for the fault codes I get when running my car...

P2293 - Fuel Regulator/Pressure To Low
P0089 - Fuel Rail/Fuel Pressure Too Low

Parts already bought and installed:

Napa Fuel Filter
Volkswagen Genuine Fuel Pressure Sensor
Volkswagen Genuine HPFP

Issues from beginning to end...

1. (3/4/2013) Drove the car one morning it was about 40 degrees outside, I park outside if that makes any difference. It drove perfectly fine, no issues at this point. I go home and park my car for the day. About 9-10 hours later I get in my car to run to the ATM and notice my car barely accelerates above 2500 rpm in first and second gear and 3500 rpm in all higher gears. I had no boost!

2. (3/5/2013) I bring my GTI to a local shop one of which my friend owns. I plug the computer to my car and it spits back the 2 codes listed above(P2293-P0089) so we started by removing my old fuel filter and replacing it with a brand new filter. Being as it was the cheapest way out I put a lot of my hope into it being the solution. Clear the codes, fire up my car, take it for a test drive... No boost. Bring it back to my buddy's shop and plug it back into his code reader.cuz of course the CEL came on shortly after driving the car. By shortly I'm talking maybe 5-7 minutes. And as my luck would have it, same codes(P2293-P0089). So I put the car up for the night.

3. (3/6/2013) I call my local VW dealership and buy myself a new fuel pressure sensor, HPFP and when I get back to the shop spent a good hour trying to work around things to replace the fuel sensor down inbetween cylinder one and cylinder two. Finally we get it in and buttoned back up. Hoping this would be my fix seeing a the service manager at VW told me he wouldn't be surprised if it was just the switch as he's seen them burn out before. He also told me it was highly unlikely that it was my HPFP. So I start my car up praying it will return back to normal but as I'm sure you can guess it did not! Still no boost, cleared the codes and they came right back on after returning from the test drive.

4. (3/7/2013-today) I return to the shop, open the hood and remove my current HPFP and replace it with the new HPFP. I fire it up, it stutters a few times to pump new fuel through, and yes I primed the pump before starting the car, and I take it for a test ride... Nothing! No boost! FML!!!! So now after using the process of elimination and spending $600 on new parts I guess it's time to move onto the fuel system components at the gas tank end of things. Tomorrow I will remove my rear seat and take a look at my LPFP and fuel send. Hopefully I will see sign of a problem there so I'll know what to fix!

5. (3/7/2013-tonight) So after driving 18 miles home from the shop still no improvement. Then I shut my car off, run in the school to grab my 8 year old, come out and start my car.... CEL still remains on but when I go to accelerate it feels like my acceleration is a tiny bit stronger. Instead of goin limp in first and second gear at 2500 rpm, it now feels like stronger acceleration to 3500 rpm then starts to go limp. It almost feels like I start to get boost then lose it. Like it wants to kick in but just never does.

Any ideas? Anyone with similar or same problem with a possible solution? Any help would be great appreciated. This issue is driving me up a wall!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe fuel pump in tank? My 06 did all sorts of wierd stuff like stalling without throwing a code. Took it to the dealer and made them run it for 2 hours until it went limp mode. They finally diagnosed it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HPFP is brand new, cam follower is in perfect condition... Also don't forget my GTI has the TSI motor in it, so cam follower had no issues. I'll have to reconnect my car to the reader again but I'm almost positive it was P0089 but there still is the possibility it was P0087 but I'm not sure. I was working kind of quickly as I was fixing other cars at the time. I'll double check and repost my findings

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Friday - 03/08/2013

So my vehicle is still going limp after hitting 3500rpm's as stated previously. Brought it to my buddies shop and reconnected the scan tool to my GTI and this is what I ended up with for codes:

P2293 - Pressure Regulator 2 Performance
P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure Too Low
P2293 - Pressure Regulator 2 Performance
P0300 - Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure To Low

Any ideas? Me and my mechanic seem to think my very next point of interest would be my Low Pressure Fuel Pump. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the low pressure fuel pump from my local VW dealership today. Meant to replace it today but I was stuck replacing front and rear head gasket and intake manifold gaskets on a maxima. My car will be the first one in the shop tomorrow morning. Today I also bought a vacuum/boost gauge and column pod. Can't wait to be able to monitor my boost levels especially after this problem is resolved! Anyways... Till tomorrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem FIXED!!!! Apparantly I forgot to completely tighten one bolt on my HPFP and the engine vibration loosened the bolt not allowing the fuel pump to make a good connection to the engine! Guess i was so busy worrying about pumps that i overlooked the obvious. Anyways... now my automatic driver side and passenger side windows dont go down with one click of the window switch. How do I solve that problem?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Problem FIXED!!!! Apparantly I forgot to completely tighten one bolt on my HPFP and the engine vibration loosened the bolt not allowing the fuel pump to make a good connection to the engine! Guess i was so busy worrying about pumps that i overlooked the obvious. Anyways... now my automatic driver side and passenger side windows dont go down with one click of the window switch. How do I solve that problem?
Did you have your battery disconnected for a while? Usually takes a couple of cycles of holding the button down to open and close the windows before the one touch works again.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you have your battery disconnected for a while? Usually takes a couple of cycles of holding the button down to open and close the windows before the one touch works again.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
It came back.... everything is back in working order and once again i love my car!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small addition but the newest to my install list... My plans are to start small and go big! New South Performance steering wheel Pod and a Glow Shift Boost gauge! Yay!!! This guys excited!

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get that in BAR?

Can not really tell with my phone!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Yes Vacuum/Boost 2 Bar.... Everything under the hood is still stock so I didn't see any need in going with anything bigger. When I start my engine upgrades that's when I plan on looking into triple gauges but till then I think simplistic is classy! Next upgrade.... Cold air intake. My options...

Injen
APR
Neuspeed

Haven't decided yet but I think apr's looks the nicest followed by the p-flo setup!

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Yes Vacuum/Boost 2 Bar.... Everything under the hood is still stock so I didn't see any need in going with anything bigger. When I start my engine upgrades that's when I plan on looking into triple gauges but till then I think simplistic is classy! Next upgrade.... Cold air intake. My options...

Injen
APR
Neuspeed

Haven't decided yet but I think apr's looks the nicest followed by the p-flo setup!
I am just ceriouse but why BAR. Now if you were in europe i could see why but we do not use bar here that much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am just ceriouse but why BAR. Now if you were in europe i could see why but we do not use bar here that much.

I was told if I go to get the vehicle tuned most places don't use psi when tuning. I have heard that it is more effective. I could be wrong but I got the info from somebody that is a euro enthusiast and has been for 20+ years. To be honest.... I originally ordered a psi gauge with a white face even... Glow Shift sent me the complete opposite of everything! But I like how the bar gauge looks so I decided to keep it rather than send it back. Also, like I mentioned earlier, once I start my engine upgrades I will upgrade my gauges. Then I will probably get a psi gauge, oil temp gauge an a trans gauge. Either way I'm happy with the product I received!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.