Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought an 05 gti last weekend. I notice that my car seems to lag, or stop accelerating when in giving it gas. its most prominent in second gear but have noticed it in first and third.

Also what are some good starter upgrades to make my car faster. I test drove an 03 automatic and it was more peppier than my 05. I want to get at least that kind of pull. Thanks in advance

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Fuel filter, plugs, wires? Search button!!!! Chip, intake, exhaust, low, sway bars, catch can, front mount intercooler

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I've tried the search function but it sucks here.

Also My cruise doesn't work. The light comes on the gauge cluster, but now cruise.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Thank you

I've tried the search function but it sucks here.

Also My cruise doesn't work. The light comes on the gauge cluster, but now cruise.
Or you could go to the mkiv section and look around at performance type info. And I have no idea about the cruise deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 5 speed and im not letting off, but it does feel like it. maybe im in limp mode. i dont know how to tell i dont have a boost gauge and there isnt a CEL.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think the rpms go up. do you mean jump up fast cuz im accelerating so the rpms are going up anyway. the car only has 38k miles on it. is that a point when they typically need to be replaced?

·
Registered
386 Posts
maybe what you're describing is the turbo lag and you think its a problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
is this problem when you shift into gear or after the clutch is clearly engaged? i have a 6mt in my 03 and under WOT the rpms just sit for a sec as the clutch has not fully engaged yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
its after the clutch has been engaged. it acts like its trying to accelerate but kinda studers then gets going. it happens the most in 2nd gear. i would think that turbo lag would maybe do it once, but it acts like its missing when accelerating.

anyone live in the west michigan are, maybe i can show you and you might have a better idea. im new to the vw and turbo world. not a very warm welcome if something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Turbo lag happens all the time... especially at low rpms in higher gears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turbo lag happens all the time... especially at low rpms in higher gears.
maybe mine is just the opposite. i dont notice it in the higher gears but i do in the lower gears and at low rpm. i hope its just lag and not used to it. but it doesnt make for a comfortable ride. is there a way to get rid of turbo lag?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
No... Turbo lag is there to stay. It all boils down to the speed and rpms. If you're under 2000 rpm you will suffer from a lot of turbo lag in any gear but first. I mean first has it but it's so short that it doesn't matter so much.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
I dont think the rpms go up. do you mean jump up fast cuz im accelerating so the rpms are going up anyway. the car only has 38k miles on it. is that a point when they typically need to be replaced?
not that early unless it was beat to ish and the PO slipped the clutch all the time

its after the clutch has been engaged. it acts like its trying to accelerate but kinda studers then gets going. it happens the most in 2nd gear. i would think that turbo lag would maybe do it once, but it acts like its missing when accelerating.

anyone live in the west michigan are, maybe i can show you and you might have a better idea. im new to the vw and turbo world. not a very warm welcome if something is wrong.
I can't believe me and everyone else on here missed the simple answer to this issue.... Turn the traction controll off.

Your experiencing wheel spin and the ecu is cutting ignition timing to control it.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
I can't believe me and everyone else on here missed the simple answer to this issue.... Turn the traction controll off.

Your experiencing wheel spin and the ecu is cutting ignition timing to control it.
what he said, to much tq in 1st and 2nd, turn of traction control and burn up your tires.

or try accelerating just a bit slower.

i would consider getting some good ultra high performance summer tire which makes it harder to loose traction and in turn will not engage traction control

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
not that early unless it was beat to ish and the PO slipped the clutch all the time

we missed it cause we don't drive that way and when we do, we turn it off lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.