Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I Just bought a 2004 GTI 1.8T silverstone grey. I justed taged it and am ready to start modding this thing. I was a Honda guy but converted to VW with this new car. I Don't know much about them but I like to wrench and can't wait to get my hands on this thing. I have about 400$ to spend and want to get the most for my money what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
The chip is a good thing to get, but not as impressive a gain as it is on the MKV. For some reason the gain is like 50HP on the MKV and on the previous years it's something like 20... don't quote me on that. I say go with the CAI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah i was thinking about adding the CAI first but i want that chip if it throwing out 50+hp you know what am saying??? do you have a CAI?? if so what kind? carbino or whatever its called? or something else like aem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed an AEM cai on my '04 about a month ago & love it! it gained probably only a few horses, but almost completely got rid of the boost lag in 1st gear, so the car gets goin much quicker now O0 I wanna chip mine too, but I'm gonna hold off until I get my bolt-on's finished up.... want to get a FMIC & exhaust before I do anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 04 1.8t, REVO stage I chip and an AEM CAI, dyno proven at 217whp (corrected to sea level, i live in colorado haha)... but those to mods will create a HUGE difference for you, also, my clutch went out so i bought an ACT Prolite 8.2lb (stock - something like 22) flywheel and a 2100 series clutch, WOW... biggest gain i have noticed, got both for 649 shipped from www.importrp.com, very good deal, and very fast shipping (within a week), but cutting off 14lb's off the rotating mass creates large numbers of imporvement, cant wait to take it back to the dyno, in all serious im estimating 10-15whp gain, yes, i know thats a lot to expect, unless you understand the seriousness of rotating mass and how much it will effect your power...

·
Registered
312 Posts
now i heard somewhere that its not good to chip your car if you dont have very much modds, because it will push your car harder and if you have no aftermarket parts then its not good. is that true? thats the only thing holding me back from getting a chip, i just dont want to mess up my car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Collin1.8 said:
now i heard somewhere that its not good to chip your car if you dont have very much modds, because it will push your car harder and if you have no aftermarket parts then its not good. is that true? thats the only thing holding me back from getting a chip, i just dont want to mess up my car.
It's a question of what aftermarket parts you need. This depends on your particular model car and the weakest link in its design. For example, a MkV GTI has two weak links I can think of right off hand. The diverter valve and fuel pump. Both work fine on a stock car (VW just might know what they're doing) but don't fare so well with performance improvements. A slight increase in max boost (ie APR/REVO/GIAC Stage 1) can render the stock diverter valve useless, causing almost total loss of boost. In this case I suggest replacing the DV before getting chipped (I have a Forge DV ready to install, but don't know when I'm getting my APR Stage 1.) Then the stock fuel pump loses pressure at the higher flow rate of most Stage 2 programs, causing a lean condition and high duty cycle that will lead to early pump failure. Knowing this, I'd seek out a more capable fuel pump before getting a Stage 2 program.

These are two examples from the MkV community. Ask around to find out what the weakest links in your particular model/generation are.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i would open her up with intake & exhaust before i would even think about putting a chip on.
with my APR chip i get a 45hp increase, so i would'nt risk it

·
Registered
52 Posts
You should get it chipped before doing any other mods.. First off everyone says it's best to get the chip first, then start modding it up with fmic, cai, exhaust, and what not. 500 for the APR chip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.