Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a 07 GTI (3dr manual United Gray, no leather sadly) which was in an accident. Unfortunately, the radio unit has "mysteriously" disappeared while the car was awaiting a new owner.­

I am a bit ashamed to say that I don't know the first thing about car audio. I know I like good sound quality before power, but power can be, you know, fun ^-^. I'm gonna ask some noobish questions, be patient with me please...

First, I have to mention that along with the in-dash interface being gone, I'm not sure if the amp is still there (the car hasn't been delivered yet). Let's assume it isn't. I'm positive the speakers are there though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I would need:

- an in-dash interface (something along http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...0086208&catid=12036&logon=&langid=EN#MoreInfo for the DVD/MP3/IPod support)

- an amp. I have absolutely no knowledge of amps. I'm not looking for something to blow the windows out, just good sound quality at a reasonable price for now (100-400ish $).

- a sub (maybe?). Again, I know nothing of subs. I've heard comments of the stock VW sound system being a bit weak. I'd like to add a bit of a boost to it without giving away a leg (100-300ish $).

Is this it? Am I missing something? What are the characteristics I should be looking out for in a good setup?

Thanks a bunch for your time. If you have a "Car Audio for Dumbasses" link, please share it and I'll leave you alone ;D

EDIT : I've found a website explaining a lot of things if anyone is ineterested. http://www.carstereos101.com/

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well if someone "stole" all that stuff you are gonna need a lot more then just stereo pieces, without the correct knowledge of how to take the stuff apart I bet the center area will be all hacked up....

Do you want the stock system back in, or are you look'n to upgrade everything in there.....a bunch of the GTI's don't even come with the amp under the drivers seat anyway.....

Were any of the wires cut or just unplugged.....cuz if that's the case and you wanna stay stock I'd consider selling the stock HU and the stock Sirius receiver...

If you purchased the car, then this happened, how come the place isn't responsible.....this whole thing just sounds a bit shady.... :-\

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scans007 said:
Well if someone "stole" all that stuff you are gonna need a lot more then just stereo pieces, without the correct knowledge of how to take the stuff apart I bet the center area will be all hacked up....

Do you want the stock system back in, or are you look'n to upgrade everything in there.....a bunch of the GTI's don't even come with the amp under the drivers seat anyway.....

Were any of the wires cut or just unplugged.....cuz if that's the case and you wanna stay stock I'd consider selling the stock HU and the stock Sirius receiver...

If you purchased the car, then this happened, how come the place isn't responsible.....this whole thing just sounds a bit shady.... :-\
I haven't had a chance to see in what state the center area was in or how the head unit was disconnected. All I know is the head unit is missing, I'll have to assess the situation when the car gets here. I know it sounds a bit vague, but the car was bought in an auction and surprises may turn up. But hey, that's just the way it is in those, sometimes you get more than you bargained for and sometimes less ;)

I've been doing some more reading and found a lot of useful info in these forums and elsewhere. When I posted this topic, I had just seen yours where you are completely redoing your sound system (incredible job btw). As I was reading and watching all the pics, I was thinking to myself ''Holy crap, I don't know jack**** of what he's doing! I hope I don't have to go through all that!'' and I got a bit panicked :-\

I calmed down and started grabbing some tidbits of info here and there and managed to see the big picture. Now I don't know the details too well yet, but I'll be able to figure out pretty much what I need when I see the car. Then I'll be able to get a bit more info and not get abused by greedy salesmen.

I appreciate your answer, it turned up questions I hadn't thought about. I'll post more if I have more specific questions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cool man, I bet you got a killer deal - I've "Stole" some cars from auctions with the surprises as well, but it's always worth it.....

When it comes in we can nail it down, replacing the HU and such is an easy task. And if it was all just disconnected, and you put a stock one back in, it should take an hour max for someone that's never touched it before.....so def don't worry. (if you want the stock deck and Sirius receiver to go along, just keep me posted and we can work something out)

Take some pics when you get it, I love see'n stuff like this and fun projects..... :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update for anyone that wants to know...

I got the car (finally) and there were some good and bad surprises.

Bad :
-Busted transmission cases, gotta find new ones or a whole tranny altogether
-Busted radiators
-No cold air intake
-Need a new oil pan

Good :
-The guy before me had FK springs and Koni shocks installed. The thing is looooooow, at least 2'' lower than stock.
-He also installed a 3'' exhaust line. I can't wait to get the car working and hear it!

I'm guessing the guy had the accident and took out all the aftermarket stuff he could. He got the cold air intake and the radio. I'm thinking he may have flashed the car's ECU. I can't tell yet since I can't start the car.

I found a stock radio for 100$, so I'll be putting that in. After the car is ready, I'll have to choose between a sub or 18'' wheels. We'll see then...

As for now, I'm still scrounging up used parts because new ones are expensive as hell.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ooooohhhh ;D

I like the thought of this car. Congratulation's on the new MKV. But, I have this strange feeling that the guy before you may have not shown the car much love. Make sure you figure out the clutch situation. If he put an after market clutch in then don't worry about it but it sounds like he may have been racing it quite a bit which may be how he crashed it. A stock clutch may take some good ware and tare from a highly modified car like that. that is if the ECU got flashed. oh, and check around the spare tire or anywhere in the trunk to see if there may not allready be some wiring for subs. If I put as much money in the car as this guy theres a good chance he allready has it setup for subs. That will save you lots of money.

Oh and I'm just saying these things from experience. If you replace anything a little more expensive it's always a good idea to go aftermarket since most shops are cheaper than authorized vw dealers and because you probably don't have warranty anymore it doesn't matter which parts you put in. Either way I love the idea of buying a GTI like this because I still have a lot of warranty on mine and I almost told a VW mechanic to bite me when he told me it would cost 800$ just to install vw sports springs and another 400$ for the springs themselves.

Good luck man!! This should be a freakin awesome project car!!!!!!!!!!

By the way how did you find out what was wrong with it? did you bring it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
253 Posts
[fish] the radio didnt dissapear, it was taken off by the owner, he probably sold it to someone else!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This car sounds like the one that i seen on Ebay that sold like for 10,000 or something. it was pretty much brand new just badly wrecked in the front and radio missing i would of bought it but didn't want to take the chance but think about it a MKV for 10,000 that had like 40,xxx miles and you can invest like another good 10,000 on that and you will have a clean GTI but i am not sure if its the same one although the criteria sounds like the one i seen on ebay...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update, it's been a while. This thread should probably be moved and renamed since it turned out to have nothing to do with electronics ;D

I'm around 3.5k$ in repairs and I figure I'll still need about 3k$ to finish.

The 3.5K$ are :
-Tranny cases + time reassembling the tranny (no way in hell I'm gonna attempt that :eek: )
-Oil pan
-Welding engine brackets
-Steering assembly
-Repairing both bent axles
-Driver airbag
-Stock radio
-Brake booster

The remaining stuff:
-Dash and passenger airbag
-Light bulbs and igniters
-Air intake
-Oil filter and housing
-Body work and paint

Here are some pics of the whole repairing process (in chronological order)

It's the first time I've ever attempted some repairs myself. Needless to say, I'm learning a ton.

To be continued...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
How long do you think it's gonna take you? Looks like a lot of work!
The engine is already back in along with the transmission and axles. I just need to change the dash and passenger airbag, install the radiator/condenser/intercooler along with the front end. Then it's off to the body shop! O0 I'm thinking about a month since I work 50+ hours a week (it's a weekend project) and it has to be inspected after it's repaired.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
The best part is that you put a part of your soul into it. After your fast is complete, you will feel great sense of accomplishment. You will probably be over more 'connected' to your GTI than most of us.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
The best part is that you put a part of your soul into it. After your fast is complete, you will feel great sense of accomplishment. You will probably be over more 'connected' to your GTI than most of us.
At least I'll know how to repair it when it breaks ;D

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
chickenium said:
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
How much did it cost to repair and how much did the GTI cost in the first place?

oh...and while you're at repairing it I say you buy some aftermarket parts. Like a new intercooler ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
chickenium said:
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
How much did it cost to repair and how much did the GTI cost in the first place?

oh...and while you're at repairing it I say you buy some aftermarket parts. Like a new intercooler ;)
The car cost 15k Canadian $. I'm thinking it'll total about 21k$. Now I know that's the cost of a new GTI in the states. But even now with the Canadian and American dollar being equal, a GTI starts at 30K over here. So I'm well under the price tag ;)

As for an intercooler, I can't justify in any way blowing 1000$ for an aftermarket one when I can have a stock one for 150$. I'll be buying a Carbonio intake and an APR flash. I already have a 3" exhaust line and lowered FK suspension which will never be fully dropped because of our roads :'(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, GTIs use D2S headlight bulbs, right?

I've also seen D2R and I'm not sure which I should buy. Do any of you guys know the difference?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chickenium said:
By the way, GTIs use D2S headlight bulbs, right?

I've also seen D2R and I'm not sure which I should buy. Do any of you guys know the difference?
Nevermind, I found the answer ::) . GTIs use D2S bulbs.

D2S bulbs are clear, while D2R bulbs have a ceramic sleeve coating. Projectors, basically a magnifying glass in reverse, take the random light output of a D2S and focus the light using the lens, while a D2R utilizes the parabolic effect of the mirror housing, while the ceramic sleeve limits head-on glare.

I also found a nice tidbit of info on the temperatures (hence the color) of HID lights. Apparently, they consist of a non-filament bulb filled with a noble gas, such as Xenon, that are affected by the temperature range. Kelvin is the standard by which the hue or color is determined, the lower the K(4300-5000) the whiter the light and perceived brightness, and vice versa, the higher the K(7,000)bluer to (12,000)violet/purple, but lower perceived brightness. Because human eyes work better in daylight, due to the fact that we have more cones than rods, cones function better towards the yellow-white range. So if you really want a bright HID go for the low numbers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The car started on the first try! The bad news is that I had a lit up Christmas tree in my displays and the idle RPM was uneven (probably because the whole radiator/intercooler assembly isn't hooked up yet). Gotta check those warning lights...

Now I need to put the front end back in and bleed the brakes and the clutch. The brakes aren't responding (no hydraulic assistance it seems) so far and the clutch pedal is slumped to the ground. I'm hoping bleeding them will resolve this. We'll see tomorrow.

Then it's off to the body shop for a bit of work on the door panel and rear panel.

Oh and for Electronics sake, I took out a speaker to work on the rear panel ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts